RE: Please review OWL-Time document

Hello Simon,

On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:39 PM, Simon.Cox@csiro.au [mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au] wrote:

> 1) Actually there is no domain or range for time:after, just the inverseOf relationship
> to time:before which does have them.
> Of course the domain and range is implied by the inverseOf relationship.
> But I'm not sure what the current recommended style is - in 2006 I guess domain and
> range were omitted if an inverseOf relationship was declared.
> But it requires a reasoner to understand this. Is there a general assumption that
> reasoning shall always be assumed?

Perhaps we can always assume reasoning, but not always OWL reasoning (although it's named OWL Time wo perhaps we _can_ assume that...). If I remember the discussion about SSN and SOSA correctly, we wanted to keep the option open to perform RDFS reasoning only (and thus added rdfs:Class and rdfs:Property at the appropriate places) and people more knowledgeable than me can probably tell if that makes sense here, too.

> I had not intended to change this (though I had mistakenly added a domain and range
> for time:after in the ttl file, which I have now reverted).
> If the group thinks a change is merited, then I am happy to insert domains and ranges
> all round where they are already implied by inverseOf relationships.

Yes, an OWL reasoner can of course infer the correct domain and range from the owl:inverseOf relation, but an RDFS reasoner can't. I guess it boils down to the question if it makes sense to use OWL Time without OWL.

> 2) Processed.

Thanks.

> 3)   Regarding ISSUE-125 - I agree that xsd:dateTimeStamp is preferable, but the
> problem is backward compatibility.
> If the rdfs:range of inXSDDateTime is changed from xsd:dateTime (which is still part
> of OWL2 btw) to xsd:dateTimeStamp, then what are the implications for existing data
> in which the timezone is omitted?
> Does it become 'invalid' in some way?

Ah, now I understand: it's about existing instance data. Could it be a solution to mark time:inXSDDateTime as deprecated and add a new property time:inXSDDateTimeStamp with range xsd:dateTimeStamp and domain time:Instant? That way existing data would still be valid while we communicate that it's not good practice to use time:inXSDDateTime anymore.

Best,

Lars