From: Simon.Cox@csiro.au [mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au]
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2017 3:28 AM
To: bart_van_leeuwen@netage.nl
Cc: public-sdw-wg@w3.org; hadley@linkedgov.org
Subject: RE: Please review OWL-Time document

Thanks Bart –

1.     Milliseconds – I need to understand a bit more what you are suggesting here.

a.     Temporal position can be specified to any required precision, either using

                                                    i.     Decimals in the YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss.ssssssssss[+NN] notation used in the inXSDDateTIme property of an Instant

                                                  ii.     as decimals in the seconds property of the DateTimeDescription class

                                                 iii.     or using decimals in the numericPosition property of the newly introduced TimePosition class

b.     Similar mechanisms are provided for temporal durations. The fixed durations Year, Month, Week … Second are defined as restrictions of

                                                    i.     DurationDescription (by specifying the cardinalities of the standard properties) and

                                                  ii.     Duration (by fixing the unitType, which in turn has the standard 7 members Year, Month, Week … Second).  In this case, the set of units is open, so milliseconds could be added in an application.

2.     Interplanetary – I suspect we already have this covered. The principal upgrade in this version of OWL-Time is to generalize the use of temporal coordinate systems, so that users are not restricted to the (earth-bound) Gregorian clock/calendar, though it still has a special status because of its almost ubiquitous use.

I’m generally wary of going beyond the standard elements specified in ISO 8601, and implemented widely (e.g. in XSD) as there is a large set of potentially temporal units. Until your mail we did not have a requirement expressed for anything else.

Simon