Re: SOSA/SSN integration architecture

Thanks Maxime. I have to say the table confuses me a bit, though. Not sure if it helps others, who don’t necessarily intimately understand the options. Others?

I have merged Simon’s and Rob’s options and denoted it as Option 5.

I think the page is fairly stable now and we have discussed potential derivations of each Option. I would ask everyone now to have their opinions heard in terms of preference. Maybe also mention what Option you can definitely not live with and what options are acceptable to you as a compromise.

From: Maxime Lefrançois <maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr>
Date: Sunday, 26 February 2017 at 10:44 pm
To: Armin Haller <armin.haller@anu.edu.au>, Rob Atkinson <rob@metalinkage.com.au>, Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>, "public-sdw-wg@w3.org" <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: SOSA/SSN integration architecture

Dear all,

I added a section https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/index.php?title=Integration_Issue&action=submit#Possible_options_in_a_nutshell with a table that summarizes several options, including some that are not detailed in the wiki page.

About Option 5:

To me it's also equivalent to option 2b/3c, but it provides interesting features that can be propagated to all of the other options. Some precisions:

The introductory sentence is misleading:
 - It mentions that it's "same as option 1, except...". Yet, two namespaces are defined in option 5, whereas only one is defined in option 1. I would not say option 5 is the "same as option 1" because of this.
 - It says "new terms are introduced into a module-specific namespace". It appears in the snippets that this "modules-specific namespace" is the ssn: namespace. I would rephrase this sentence as "New terms are introduced in the ssn: namespace"
 - It says "any semantic changes to definitions require new terms". It is also assumed in all of the other options that SSN brings no semantic change to SOSA terms, but instead precises their semantics. In those cases where an "equivalence" relation is used between a SOSA term and its duplicate SSN term, then SSN terms indirectly precise the semantics of the duplicated SOSA terms.
 - About "Behaviours are consistent with W3C architecture, and will work best with compliant tools, but are recoverable (i.e. supported by documentation hints) if tools make loose assumptions.", see my comments below.

snippet sosa.ttl:
 - it mentions "sosa:Ontology", which is not defined (is it a typo and you wanted to use ssn:Ontology ?)
 - the rdfs:comment s provides relevant information and could be used in the other options. I suggest we add this triple along with "rdfs:seeAlso ssn:Ontology" in sosa.ttl snippets of other options.

snippet ssn.ttl:
 - the rdfs:comment s provides relevant information and could be used in the other options. I suggest we add this triple in ssn.ttl snippets of other options.
 - it mentions "unify:Platform" which is not defined in this option (is it a typo and you wanted to use sosa:Platform ?)
 - rdfs:subClassOf ssn:System ; should either be in all options, or nowhere. I suggest we delete.

snippets FlibberSensors.ttl and FlobberSensors.ttl
 - I like the definition of Flibber and Flobber in the urban dic :-) are they commonly used like Foo and Bar ?
 - these snippets are relevant to any of the other options as well. I suggest either we add them there, or remove altogether .

"And the final mechanism: if you ask for sosa: or sosa:Definitions using mimetype for OWL, then you get redirected to ssn:Ontology". I suggest we do not implement this mechanism.
 - as you "303 redirect" to the URL of the SSN ontology, I agree that this mechanism conforms to the Web architecture principles. i.e., your are not "200 OK serving" two different RDF Graphs at the same URL.
 - This mechanism may be documented in the spec, but existing Sem Web will ignore it. In fact, most Sem Web tools accept preferably application/rdf+xml. This is the case for OWLAPI [1], and is therefore the case in Protégé. What's worse, any tool that accepts preferably application/owl+xml will never be able to load SOSA from its IRI. Yet, SOSA is a perfectly valid OWL DL Ontology, although it has very few axioms.

Kind regards,
Maxime

[1] - see class DocumentSource.java and its variable REQUESTTYPES, https://github.com/owlcs/owlapi/search?q=openConnection