Re: BP & SSN: feature of interest vs spatial thing

Given that the term feature is already understood by some communities in a different sense from that of OGC/ISO, it would be good not to mint yet another sense. There seem to be multiple ways that FOI could be differentiated from GF_Feature. It could be a subclass of GF_Feature (itself equivalent to SpatialThing). Or it could be any feature individual that is distinguished by having an object property relationship with an observation. Presumably not every feature becomes a feature of interest (although the number is increasing daily), making it a subset in practice. It is not clear to me, though, that features of interest have any other distinction from SpatialThing except that expression of interest via observation.

Whether FoI is equivalent to Feature / SpatialThing or a subclass, the important articulation to preserve, I think, is the transformation by which a sensed stimulus is interpreted in the context of an observation to estimate a feature property. If we are not clearly asserting and documenting that a sensor is telling us something specific about the world, we will have lost much of the power of the vocabulary to communicate what we know and how we know it.

As for the case of “type of lightbulb”, in the RDF/OWL world, an average power consumption measured across a population sample of lightbulbs is a statistic derived from a number of individual observations of the observable properties of actual / spatial lightbulbs used to predict the observable property of any other specific members of the population. Any individual of a feature type is still a feature with a location in space at any specific time, whether or not it’s observable property has been individually measured. Interestingly, a feature “type" in the UML sense may not itself be a feature, but in OWL/RDF set theory it is a collection of features, which is itself a feature. So the set of lightbulbs of a particular type may be scattered across the globe, but the set is still “spatial”.

Josh