From: Maxime Lefrançois [mailto:maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr]
Sent: Friday, 10 February, 2017 05:20
To: Kerry Taylor <kerry.taylor@anu.edu.au>; janowicz@ucsb.edu; Raúl García Castro <rgarcia@fi.upm.es>; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: ssn: issue-72 inverse properties in sosa-core

Hi Kerry,

I thought it made sense to keep to rdf alone.
 I understood the sentiment favoured instead some kind of “simple” OWL.

I believe so, it makes then a bit strange to try to "prevent" the use of OWL reasoners with SOSA. I'm not very fond of schema at all, and if you ask, I'd add rdfs:domain, rdfs:range, and owl:inverseOf in SOSA.

But I think I understood that schema:domainIncludes and schema:rangeIncludes may be commented out some day, as is the case in QB4ST ?

 I, for one, never really understood  what “simple” means for sosa, but I suppose for some people it means just exactly what is in sosa now. And  just now we agreed that owl:AnnotationProperty  can appear in sosa, but I guess that that is “simpler” than owl:inverseOf.
yes, owl:inverseOf is more complex than the annotation property schema:inverseOf.

Anyway – I think, from the arguments at the time, the schema.org<http://schema.org> solution you propose would be interpreted  as the same as “documentation” (B),   and therefore has been decided already, although I don’t recall your (C) as coming up  at the time.

(C) would have been the option I would have proposed if I was following the discussion at that point. It consists in using schema:inverseOf the exact same way we use schema:domainIncludes and schema:rangeIncludes, i.e. for example:

schema:domainIncludes a owl:AnnotationProperty .
schema:rangeIncludes a owl:AnnotationProperty .
schema:inverseOf a owl:AnnotationProperty .

sosa:hasFeatureOfInterest a owl:ObjectProperty ;
  schema:domainIncludes sosa:Observation ;
  schema:rangeIncludes sosa:FeatureOfInterest ;
  schema:rangeIncludes sosa:Sample ;
  schema:inverseOf sosa:isFeatureOfInterestOf .

So +0 from me.

Btw – the earlier question about “meta:” – mea culpa – but I stand corrected.  Great to have fresh eyes on this.

no worries, but I just saw that the following documents also use it:
 - ssn/rdf/sam.ttl
 - ssn/rdf/om.ttl
 - qb4st/ontology/qb4st.ttl

Kind regards,