RE: Non-dereferencable URIs (was Re: ACTION-255 - o&m alignment)

Yeah – I saw that, and commented on it indirectly with this:

Ø  > I doubt this would be helpful but we could perhaps mint new ones that did dereference and assert equivalence but that's only worth doing if it provides some functionality that's actually useful.

Ø  I'd be reluctant to head that direction. As I mentioned on the call and in my documentation, URIs in the def.isotc211.org<http://def.isotc211.org> domain are specified in ISO 19150-2, so putting another façade in front is really just obfuscation.

From: Krzysztof Janowicz [mailto:janowicz@ucsb.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 9 February, 2017 15:32
To: Rob Atkinson <rob@metalinkage.com.au>; Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>; phila@w3.org; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Non-dereferencable URIs (was Re: ACTION-255 - o&m alignment)

Simon, have you seen the suggestion below to mint local class and property URLs and align them (and use rdfs:isDefinedBy)?

>I doubt this would be helpful but we could perhaps mint new ones that did dereference and assert >equivalence but that's only worth doing if it provides some functionality that's actually useful.
I had the same (or similar) idea but it was already past 2 pm and we closed the meeting. What we could do is to have an ontology that has dereferencable URIs for all the classes and properties and for each of them would also contain rdfs:isDefinedBy statements that point to the O&M/ISO URIs. rdfs:isDefinedBy explicitly does not put any constraints on such resources, they do not even have to be Web-available (https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_isdefinedby). As a final step, we would establish our mapping axioms in the form of subclass and equivalence class relations from SOSA/SSN to these dereferenceable class and property URLs.

On 02/08/2017 05:05 PM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
+1

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 at 11:25 <Simon.Cox@csiro.au><mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au> wrote:
> The question is, of course, can TC211 be encouraged to make things like http://def.isotc211.org/iso19156/2011/ dereferencable? If it helps, we'd happily host the relevant data to which those URIs could redirect (I'm sure OGC and others would too of course).

I raised this with Jean Brodeur, who is the primary custodian of the GitHub repository. There is certainly an interest in making these things dereferencable.

The blockers are
- resourcing
- limited DNS/HTTP knitting expertise,
- relationship with the ISO/TC 211 secretariat, which recently moved from Norway to Sweden.

We were careful to use the def.isotc211.org<http://def.isotc211.org> domain so as not to get tangled up with iso.org<http://iso.org>.
But we still have to work with the Swedes, who we don't know so well yet.

Practically, there is also the matter of where the actual resources would be hosted.
Is raw.githubusercontent.com/ISO-TC211/GOM/master/isotc211_GOM_harmonizedOntology/19156<http://raw.githubusercontent.com/ISO-TC211/GOM/master/isotc211_GOM_harmonizedOntology/19156> acceptable?
And, while I could work with Jean to get .ttl versions put alongside, I'm not sure that anything much more sophisticated than that could be expected any time soon.

> I doubt this would be helpful but we could perhaps mint new ones that did dereference and assert equivalence but that's only worth doing if it provides some functionality that's actually useful.

I'd be reluctant to head that direction. As I mentioned on the call and in my documentation, URIs in the def.isotc211.org<http://def.isotc211.org> domain are specified in ISO 19150-2, so putting another façade in front is really just obfuscation.

Realistically getting the def.isotc211.org<http://def.isotc211.org> URIs to dereference is likely to take months rather than weeks, but I think it is plausible, and if we are OK with using them as identifiers in the meantime then it is all defensible in the short term and there would be no discontinuity in the long.

Simon