From: Simon.Cox@csiro.au [mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 7 February 2017 4:02 PM
To: Simon.Cox@csiro.au; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: ACTION-255 - o&m alignment

Note that this mapping is only from SOSA to O&M (and om-lite).

I also intend to look at the mapping from 'SSN' (i.e. the vertical axiomatization/extension) of SOSA for observations and sensing through to O&M. Much of the intended alignment was captured in annotations in the original ontology, but the discussions in the last week suggest that some local-names might change else SOSA classes and properties used in place of old SSN equivalents. When this has settled down a comprehensive mapping should be formulated.

Probably the key question arising from the work mentioned below is whether the proposal to use the URIs that are specified in the translation of the UML model to OWL, following the ISO 19150-2 rules, is acceptable.

Pro:

-          It allows us to express the alignment formally within the idiom we are working in (OWL)
Cons:

-          The OWL version of O&M is not in itself published as a 'standard' and the URIs are not directly resolvable (yet, anyway)

o   However, as pointed out in the document, the URIs are persistent identifiers in the view of ISO, and the fact that ISO's process does not require a separate document for the OWL implementation should be OK for us

-          UML and OWL are so different in their assumptions that it is a fallacy to use the OWL implementation as representing the UML model

I'm sure there are other arguments. My feeling is that the proposed approach balances formality and pragmatism OK.

Simon