From: Maxime Lefrançois [mailto:maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr]
Sent: Monday, 6 February, 2017 17:55
To: janowicz@ucsb.edu; Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>; kerry.taylor@anu.edu.au; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposals (was Re: Architecture of SOSA/SSN integration) : issue-87 only

>  And it appears very strange to me to state that an observable property is a sub property of a property.
That was a slip of the tongue, I meant:

it appears very strange to me to state that a ssn:property is a sub property of a sosa:ObservableProperty
This is what can be read at [1] and is also what I would model when Phil says:
>>> Looking at the two definitions, there are differences but they look
    >>> very minor to my eyes with sosa:ObservableProperty looking slightly
    >>> more general, so, again, I'd delete ssn:Property.

[1] - https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/ssn/rdf/ssn-sosa.ttl

but anyways, +1 in favour of your arguments, and I propose that:

 - we update sosa-ssn.ttl to reflect what we all agree on;
 - we also consider either to add sosa:ActuableProperty, or roll back to just sosa:Property.

Kind regards,
Maxime

Not strange actually – not all properties are observable. In the revision of ISO 19109:2015 we distinguished between

-          Observation

-          Assertion (e.g. name, price)

-          Derivation (e.g. classifications based on combinations of observed properties)

-          Inheritance/instantiation (e.g. where a property value is assumed on the basis of class membership)
These are not necessarily disjoint, and it is likely that observable properties are the most interesting (depending on you epistemological viewpoint) but it is useful to recognize that observable properties are a distinct class.

Yes, not strange at all. I agree with all of Simon's arguments and we also made them in one of our telco's half a year ago.

On 02/05/2017 04:57 PM, Simon.Cox@csiro.au<mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au> wrote:

>  And it appears very strange to me to state that an observable property is a sub property of a property.

Not strange actually – not all properties are observable. In the revision of ISO 19109:2015 we distinguished between

-          Observation

-          Assertion (e.g. name, price)

-          Derivation (e.g. classifications based on combinations of observed properties)

-          Inheritance/instantiation (e.g. where a property value is assumed on the basis of class membership)
These are not necessarily disjoint, and it is likely that observable properties are the most interesting (depending on you epistemological viewpoint) but it is useful to recognize that observable properties are a distinct class.

Simon