Re: State of SSN: arguments in favour of a single name and namespace, proposal, the SEAS example, proposal of action

From: Maxime Lefrançois <maxime.lefrancois@emse.fr>
Date: Sunday, 5 February 2017 at 9:58 pm
To: "janowicz@ucsb.edu" <janowicz@ucsb.edu>, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>, Kerry Taylor <kerry.taylor@anu.edu.au>, Armin Haller <armin.haller@anu.edu.au>, SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>, "Cox, Simon (CESRE, Kensington)" <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>
Subject: Re: State of SSN: arguments in favour of a single name and namespace, proposal, the SEAS example, proposal of action

There is every intention to solve these issues. SOSA has been tabled in July 2016 (https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/SOSA_Ontology) based on the horizontal/vertical alignment proposed in the WD (https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/SSN_core_modules) and we are trying to resolve the issues below that have also been raised on the tracker.

> 1. there is no relation between feature of interest and observable property

There is a link through the Observation class. Is there a use case in the simple axiomatization that you want to make the relation between FeatureOfInterest and ObservableProperty explicit?

Actuation must be introduced in SSN, it is one of our requirements: https://www.w3.org/TR/sdw-ucr/#ModelActuation, issues have been raised ISSUE-91<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/91> and an action item assigned earlier: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/215

Mistake, has been raised: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/109

Incomplete, as this was a placeholder, waiting for Actuation to be introduced in SSN, see ISSUE-91<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/91>

There is sosa:usedProcedure https://github.com/w3c/sdw/blob/gh-pages/ssn/rdf/sosa.ttl

> 6. result time could be replace with prov:generatedAtTime

Yes, could be. As above, not resolved yet.

> 7. there is invokedBy/invokes for actuators, but there is only madeObservation for sensors

That was in response to an error in SOSA that Jeremy has discovered in the F2F. I introduced the placeholder invokedBy/invokes (label is very much up for discussion) just to fix the missing relation. Agree, if we use an inverse for invokes we should do the same for madeObservation see ISSUE-91<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/91>. However, we only resolved the inverseOf usage in SOSA in our meeting on the 15th of November

Mistake, but the Sample class is awaiting decision if it is included in SOSA or not: https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/92 There are strong arguments from the OGC crowd to do so.

> 9. actuation and observation are in some "virtual box" one could give a proper name to, such as "Procedure execution"

Can you explain that in more detail? You mean have a special subclass of Procedure/Process for Observation and Actuation. We did have that, but removed it in SOSA to not have subclasses.

Unresolved issue, that also pertains to SSN as it does not use DUL anymore. https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/90