RE: Proposals (was Re: Architecture of SOSA/SSN integration) : issue-87 only

Hmm.
What's happened here is that work using O&M subsequent to its publication six years ago (as an ISO spec) has refined our understanding.

(a)   There are a number of places where we have found the original names left some ambiguity in the eyes of users, and that slight tweaks to the naming might help.

(b)   Also, the O&M model depended on some abstract wild-card classes - in particular GFI_Feature and GF_PropertyType - which were really too general for the purpose, so we are defining more specialized classes here.

(c)    And finally, the style in the ISO UML models is generally not to call properties 'hasXXX' etc, while I observe that this is more common in OWL and RDF.

So from the perspective of 2016/17 we can do one of two things:

(i)                 Persist with the old local names

(ii)               Take the opportunity of a new namespace (which is happening with the move to w3.org regardless of the outcome of the SOSA/SSN discussion) to also have a refresh of the local-names.

I was inclined to take the opportunity for improvement. Hence

-          FeatureOfInterest instead of GFI_Feature - being the subset of features which have observations made on them

-          ObservableProperty instead of GF_Property - being the subset of properties whose values may be estimated by observation/sensing processes (which is distinct from the subset whose values are determined other ways, such as by assertion or inheritance)

-          hasResult instead of result, hasFeatureOfInterest instead of featureOfInterest, isSampleOf instead of sampledFeature etc are all more clear in my opinion.

(I've used the original UML names here as I know them best - Kerry has noted that the SSN names are generally well aligned.)

Naming classes (or properties) is always a bit arbitrary, and should be subordinate to explicit and accurate descriptions, definitions and axiomatizations. But it is often the only thing that users read. Since our stated aim with SOSA was to reach out to a broader audience, better naming is probably a good thing. The deciding factor in my decision to go along with some renaming was audience reach.

As I understood it,  backward compatibility with existing SSN applications will be managed through alignment axioms. So is there any real reason from that side not to change? This is pretty important in relation to Kerry's argument I think. Kerry appears to want to keep the same local-names even while the full URI is changing anyway with the move from purl.org to w3.org URIs - is that it Kerry, or is there something else I haven't followed?

And to complete the circle in terms of the alignment with the O&M standard terminology, there is a scheduled revision of ISO O&M this year, so changes based on use experience (including this) can be rolled back into the standard anyway (though the extent of renaming does depend on whether we make it a 'major revision' or only a 'minor revision').

Simon