Re: tidying ssn -- are you ok with?

Hi Kerry,

> If it is to go  on the meeting agenda then some thought beforehand
> would be helpful.

Agreed. Some thoughts are listed below to explain why this should be on
next week's agenda.

> I can’t recall whether sosa currently imports skos – I think that has
> changed a couple of times (but don’t quote me on that).

Yes, I also think we changed back and forth and this is one of the
reason to have a discussion next week.

> I am guessing that your objection relates to skos not being in owl DL.
> But I am only guessing. I am also assuming that we would want to see
> the same treatment in ssn and sosa.

I am not super concerned about this, but I agree that it is a point
worth considering. For me, the key issue is rather wether we are just
using skos:example or whether we plan to use more of SKOS in the future.
This is another point I would like to discuss during the meeting.

> Options I can think of:
>
> (a) use skos:example and declare it an owl  annotation property (and
> this will work for any other skos property too). Also don’t import skos.
>
> (b) make up our own --e.g   ssn:example
>
> (c) find another one that people use for this purpose
>
> (d) give up – retract everything and just bury examples inside
> rdfs:comment.

Frankly speaking Kerry, I think these are all good and usable
approaches. All of them have advantages and disadvantages but non of
them strikes me as a no-go in any sense. Intuitively, I would vote for b
(sosa/ssn:example) if this would also imply that we declare it an
annotation property. Which one is your favorite? A? For exactly these
reasons I hope we can discuss this during our next telco. I also hope
that this should be something we can all agree on within 20min.

There is one more interesting issue to consider to make sure we arrive
at a consistent way of documenting both ontologies, namely on the
semantics of 'example'. Consider the following example:

> *ssn:Platform*
>
> An Entity to which other Entities can be attached - particuarly
> Sensors and other Platforms. For example, a post might act as the
> Platform, a bouy might act as a Platform, or a fish might act as a
> Platform for an attached sensor.

I would assume "For example, a post might act as the Platform, a bouy
might act as a Platform, or a fish might act as a Platform for an
attached sensor." is part of the example and will be removed from the
comment, right?

But what about "- particuarly Sensors and other Platforms". This could
count as example as well.

If so, we are left with "An Entity to which other Entities can be attached."

Do you see my point?

Cheers,
Jano

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu