W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > February 2017

[minutes] SDW BP call - 2017-02-01

From: Francois Daoust <fd@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 09:52:08 +0100
To: <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <084801d27d31$a3021d60$e9065820$@w3.org>
Hello SDW BP group,

The minutes of yesterday's call are available at:

http://www.w3.org/2017/02/01-sdwbp-minutes.html

... and copied as raw text below.

Please note the proposal to freeze edits on Monday to publish an updated draft, and the call for volunteers to work on remaining actions during next sprint, until the group meets F2F. Bear in mind that this next sprint will also be the last "substantive" one. Further updates to the document after that will likely remain editorial in nature.

Thanks,
Francois.

-----
Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference
01 Feb 2017

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:BP-Telecon20170201

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/02/01-sdwbp-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Linda, ClemensPortele, Francois, ScottSimmons,
          AndreaPerego, ChrisLittle

   Regrets
          Jeremy, Lars

   Chair
          Linda

   Scribe
          ClemensPortele

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Discuss progress of current sprint based on the
            Sprint Plan
         2. [6]ACTION-242
         3. [7]ACTION-232, ACTION-233
         4. [8]ACTION-234
         5. [9]ACTION-247 Rewrite of section 7 Coordinate
            Reference Systems
         6. [10]ACTION-241 Further work on best practices 3 and 18
            about Coordinate Reference Systems (possibly merging
            them)
         7. [11]ACTION-248 Further work on BP7 (use HTTP URIs) +
            BP14 (Links to related resources)
         8. [12]ACTION-249 Further work on BP8 (geometry)
         9. [13]Other actions for this sprint
        10. [14]Outreach for wider review
        11. [15]discuss contents of next sprint
     __________________________________________________________

   Approving [16]last SDW BP call minutes:

     [16] https://www.w3.org/2017/01/18-sdwbp-minutes

   <Linda> +1

   <ClemensPortele> +1

   Minutes approved.

   Patent call:

   -> [17]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

     [17] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

Discuss progress of current sprint based on the Sprint Plan

   [18]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Detailed_planning_BP_d
   ocument

     [18] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Detailed_planning_BP_document

ACTION-242

   (Restructure the document to move the summary to the top and
   remove the template)

   Linda: Restructuring is done, BP overview is now chapter 4
   ... action is complete

ACTION-232, ACTION-233

   <Linda> ClemensPortele: is done, except that links to issues
   are still in the draft.

   ClemensPortele: actions done, no comments received
   ... issues could be closed

   Action Linda to review whether the issues can be closed

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-260 - Review whether the issues can
   be closed [on Linda van den Brink - due 2017-02-08].

   Linda: Everyone should review the changes (like all other
   changes)

ACTION-234

   ClemensPortele: schema.org snippet is included, but statistics
   on schema.org Place is missing
   ... needs to wait for Ed's input

ACTION-247 Rewrite of section 7 Coordinate Reference Systems

   Linda: Done, rewrite done by Ed and now in the Editor's draft
   ... some parts were left out as too detailed for the audience

   ClemensPortele: detail seemed sufficient to me

   Linda: again, everyone to review

ACTION-241 Further work on best practices 3 and 18 about Coordinate
Reference Systems (possibly merging them)

   Linda: Byron is working on it, no pull request, progress
   unclear

   Action Linda to ask Byron about progress on ACTION-241

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-261 - Ask byron about progress on
   action-241 [on Linda van den Brink - due 2017-02-08].

ACTION-248 Further work on BP7 (use HTTP URIs) + BP14 (Links to
related resources)

   Linda: jtandy reported that he wants to work on it over the
   weekend
   ... should be part of the next release

ACTION-249 Further work on BP8 (geometry)

   AndreaPerego: Had a call with jtandy about the changes
   ... will work on this next week, we should have something ready
   in two weeks
   ... plans to make changes in fork in his own repository so that
   everyone can review before merging into the Editor's draft

   Linda: sounds good

   AndreaPerego: There has been a discussion on the email list and
   in the last meeting that will have an impact on the BP
   ... also we should add to the glossary, e.g. on "dimension"
   ... there is a specialist definition in the ISO-based glossary,
   but we should also have something for the non-specialist

   Linda: yes, this is one of the terms we take for granted

   ChrisLittle: my working definition is what is in the RDF Data
   Cube
   ... other work by Rob Atkinson as well as Peter Baumann (WCS)
   ... probably same meaning, but in some cases "dimension" is
   reduced to coordinate dimension
   ... but, e.g., "species" can be a dimension, too

   AndreaPerego: Please provide a link to the Data Cube definition

   ChrisLittle: Will do

   AndreaPerego: I will add candidates for discussion in my fork
   so we can discuss it

   ChrisLittle: This is raised also in the OGC as it is relevant
   for map services

   Linda: so this action will not be ready for the next release

   AndreaPerego: probably yes, but it should be ready for the next
   release

Other actions for this sprint

   Linda: None working on BP1, so this will not be part of the
   sprint
   ... ACTION-240 Remove BP17 (crowdsourcing) from BP document is
   done. Some text has been moved elsewhere (BP1)
   ... ... in examples
   ... ... also ready for review

Outreach for wider review

   Linda: task on Ed and Phil
   ... ... progress is unclear
   ... Recap - most issues are done and wait for review
   ... when should we freeze? Proposal: Monday morning (would
   include actions 248, but not 249, 241 unclear)
   ... ... thoughts?

   <AndreaPerego> +1 to ClemensPortele

   ClemensPortele: I think we should stick to our time plan

   <ChrisLittle> +1 to freeze

   PROPOSAL: Freeze edits on Monday morning

   <AndreaPerego> +1

   <Linda> +1

   <ClemensPortele> +1

   Action Linda to update BP sprint plan accordingly

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-262 - Update bp sprint plan
   accordingly [on Linda van den Brink - due 2017-02-08].

discuss contents of next sprint

   Linda: next week to next f2f meeting
   ... See backlog
   [19]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Detailed_planning_BP_d
   ocument#Backlog_-_To_do
   ... highest priority comes first in the list
   ... BP1 was discussed in London and we need address the points
   made there
   ... ... see [20]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/520
   ... ... discussion probably needs a larger group than we have
   today, but it should be in the next sprint

     [19] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Detailed_planning_BP_document#Backlog_-_To_do
     [20] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/520

   <ClemensPortele> +1

   <Linda> +1

   <AndreaPerego> +1

   <ChrisLittle> +1

   <ScottSimmons> +1

   Linda: Next one for the next sprint would be BP10 (spatial
   semantics). A choice between vocabularies, or a good method for
   selecting the right vocabulary for a specific use, is needed.
   See [21]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/39 and
   [22]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/214.
   ... ... should be in the next sprint, too

     [21] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/39
     [22] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/214.

   <ClemensPortele> +1

   <Linda> +1

   <ChrisLittle> +1

   <AndreaPerego> +1

   Linda: One question is who wants to work on BP10 and has ideas?

   AndreaPerego: This is general and affects also how we select
   how we represent geometries

   Linda: The work on the spatial ontology will take longer than
   the BP work

   AndreaPerego: Then we should show how things are done today
   (examples)
   ... ... will make a proposal in the ongoing work on BP8

   Linda: currently no owner for BP10, but we agree it is a key
   issue
   ... Anyone willing to own BP1?

   (silence)

   Linda: Next is BP2 (provide context required to interpret data
   values, [23]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/384)
   ... ... can it be removed, covered by DWBP already?
   ... ... could also be in a future spint
   ... Also no owner at the moment

     [23] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/384)

   <ChrisLittle> My ACTION: here is the link to the W3C RDF (non)
   definition of Dimensions:
   [24]http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-data-cube/

     [24] http://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-data-cube/

   Linda: Next is chapter 11 (how to use these best practices,
   [25]https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/381)

     [25] https://github.com/w3c/sdw/issues/381)

   <AndreaPerego> Thanks, ChrisLittle !

   Linda: Any topic on the backlog where we have a volunteer?

   tidoust: question on the time line - based on the current plan
   after this spring there will mainly be editorial changes
   ... ... so everything where we do not have a volunteer for the
   next sprint, we won't get it into the BP document

   Linda: yes, this correct - please consider this

   Action Linda to send email to the WG to remind everyone to
   volunteer for the next sprint, otherwise it is in danger of
   being dropped from the BP document

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-263 - Send email to the wg to remind
   everyone to volunteer for the next sprint, otherwise it is in
   danger of being dropped from the bp document [on Linda van den
   Brink - due 2017-02-08].

   [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 2 February 2017 08:52:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 2 February 2017 08:52:19 UTC