Proposals (was Re: Architecture of SOSA/SSN integration)

Dear all,

I am sorry that I was only able to take part in the first half of the
meeting yesterday.

I've been looking at the mapping table [1] and trying to make some more
sense of what I see and offer how I personally would choose to proceed.
In doing this I admit that I have been too lax, allowing the task force
to continue its work without taking the time to understand the detail of
what was being discussed. This is unhelpful and I bear some
responsibility at least for the current malaise. I offer what follows as
a possible way forward. In doing so, please be sure that I do not have
any special powers. This is not a diktat from W3C, just a proposal from
a WG member.

I believe the currently published document expresses the consensus view
that SOSA is the semantically light weight core and that SSN is the
semantically richer and more specific ontology.

OK, so we start with SOSA.

It defines a class of Actuation that does not appear in SSN or the
others. Nothing more to say.

Both SOSA and SSN have an Observation class. In my view, ssn:Observation
should be deleted and SSN users should use sosa:Observation. Ditto for
all classes where any differences can be ironed out.

But again, it's the SOSA namespace that wins. If we need to tweak the
SOSA definitions, do it.

Then we get to sosa:ObservableProperty and ssn:Property.

Looking at the two definitions, there are differences but they look very
minor to my eyes with sosa:ObservableProperty looking slightly more
general, so, again, I'd delete ssn:Property.

Only when we get to sosa:Result do we see something different, i.e.
ssn:SensorOutput and ssn:ObservationValue. OK, so here, for me, are the
only classes in the ssn namespace, both of which are subclasses of
sosa:Result.

On to properties.

Using the same logic, I would delete:

ssn:featureOfInterest
ssn:observationResult
ssn:observes
ssn:observedProperty
ssn:sensingMethodUsed
ssn:madeObservation (and move ssn:observedBy to the sosa namespace to be
consistent with the other inverse properties)
ssn:onPlatform
ssn:observationSamplingTime
ssn:observationResultTime

What's the difference between sosa:hosts and sosa:attachedSystem ? Do we
need both?

Hang on, that's *it*. There is no more.

Based on the mapping table, I end up with just *two* classes and *no*
properties in the SSN namespace.

Question: do we really need ssn:SensorOutput and ssn:ObservationValue or
could we live with just sosa:Result?

So we're talking here about SSN essentially adding further semantic
constraints on SOSA, not new terms (except possibly two new classes).

That's what I call a profile, i.e. a way in which a particular
vocabulary is used, complete with cardinality constraints and more
finely tuned semantics. We can add textual usage notes and descriptions
as well as semantic axioms but I see no new terms to add.

So here's my table of contents for the document:

1. Introduction
2. Developments since the initial 2009 publication of SSN
3. Modularization
4. The SOSA ontology
5. The SSN Semantic Layer
The SOSA vocabulary (it doesn't have rich enough semantics to be called
an ontology in my view) is deliberately defined with loose semantics -
just enough for everyday applications.

Where more precise semantics are needed, such as in @@@use case@@@ and
@@@ use case@@@ an additional layer can be applied. This allows data
encoded using SOSA to be processed using an OWL resoner.

Then define all the semantics you like in a file at /ns/ssn/.

We've been arguing about the namespace for the SSN terms. Kerry has been
saying that we don't need another namespace. Reading through the mapping
table, now I see why: personally, I only see one vocabulary.

6. Alignment to OGC Observations and Measurements

Looks like a pretty straightforward alignment to me. I presume
consideration was given to using O&M terms directly in SOSA? Can they
not be used directly? If not, it looks to me as if SOSA terms could be
declared as sub classes and properties of O&M terms.

I'd say that this can be part of the normative definition of SOSA.

What about om-lite and sam-lite?

Well, they look pretty similar too. Am I right that these are CSIRO-only
ontologies? In which case, I'd say that any alignment is up to CSIRO to
do and publish.

7. Alignment to SSN of the SSN-XG, ssn-ssnx.

I'd include those assertions in a sub chapter of the one on SSN.

8. Alignment to DOLCE+DNS Ultralite upper ontology (DUL)

For me this is optional but if there's no harm in including it, go ahead.

I am feeling very guilty. I should have looked at that mapping table
before now. I think I have learned a lesson.

Proposal 1: That all vocabulary terms are defined in the SOSA namespace.

Proposal 2A: That SSN is characterised as a semantic layer on top of SOSA.

OR

Proposal 2B: That SSN is characterised as a profile of SOSA.

Personally, I'd vote in favour of 1 and 2B.

Phil

[1] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Mapping_Table

--

Phil Archer