RE: ISSUE-65: General purpose temporal predicates

‘No’ to problematic – sorry I missed the double question.

If a spatial thing has a beginning and/or end and duration, then it is also a temporal entity. Being able to say things about its temporal relationships with other things is the key issue.

Possibly what’s going on here is that I’m understanding the additional possibilities in the set-theoretic/multiple-inheritance viewpoint, compared with the single-inheritance restriction that applies in XML and that we often assume in UML.

From: Joshua Lieberman [mailto:jlieberman@tumblingwalls.com]
Sent: Monday, 17 April, 2017 12:46
To: Cox, Simon (L&W, Clayton) <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>
Cc: public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: ISSUE-65: General purpose temporal predicates

Just to clarify: is that no to “problematic” or no to “appropriate”? Can a SpatialThing be-also a TemporalEntity then?

—Josh

On Apr 16, 2017, at 9:46 PM, <Simon.Cox@csiro.au<mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au>> <Simon.Cox@csiro.au<mailto:Simon.Cox@csiro.au>> wrote:

The issue I have been struggling with is
(i)                 Are temporal entities (instants, intervals) like geometry models (points, lines, surfaces) – which are associated with a spatial feature, but are not the parent class of spatial feature-types?
(ii)               This affects whether it is OK for the basic temporal predicates :hasBeginning :hasEnd and :hasDuration to have rdfs:domain time:TemporalEntity or not.
This is because, with these global constraints on the domain of the property, anything carrying the property is inferred to be a temporal entity.

Josh had earlier asked:
>  The question in my mind is whether the entailment of "is-also-a temporal entity" is problematic or appropriate in the sense that adding "hasDuration" or "inTimePosition" properties has the effect of adding temporality to an entity such as a spatialthing or geometry. I am trying this out in a "module" of geo -> http://geosemweb.org/stgeo. It still allows defining subproperties such as validTime or making a feature slice or sample a temporal entiity.
>  Joshua Lieberman, 14 Dec 2016, 15:43:28

I did a little more thinking and testing on this, in the form of an OWL-Time – PROV-O alignment, and have decided that the answer to Josh’s question is ‘No’.
If:

prov:Activity
  rdfs:subClassOf time:TemporalEntity ;
.

then we get all the Allen ordering relations between Activities for free. This is kinda the whole point of OWL-Time. I can’t see any down-side on thinking of a prov:Activity (or any other kind of event) as a TemporalEntity and getting to reason over ordering relations directly.

So I propose to reverse the decision made in the mail below, and re-instate the domain restrictions on :hasBeginning :hasEnd and :hasTemporalDuration (this returns us to the 2006 definitions), and assert that these predicates _are_ the general purpose ones requested in ISSUE-65. The only addition is :hasTime which is even more general purpose.

Sorry about the whiplash folks.

Simon