Re: OWL-Time - issue with SPARQL endpoints lacking owl reasoner

Simon,

It really remains true that RDF and OWL do a lousy job with numeric values, from different value spaces to precision to units. There should be bigger answers to to these questions. However, there isn’t any present resolution within OWL 2. The only way a literal comparison can be made is if two datatypes derive from the same primitive datatype so a logical re-casting can be made. The types xsd:decimal, xsd:float, and xsd:double are deliberately set as pairwise disjoint to prevent such a comparison. We’re down and being kicked too. So the union may combine the value spaces of the types, but it doesn’t provide any means of overcoming the disjointness. It would only work if, as with coordinate string literals, the type you defined were intercepted and re-cast by a particular software engine. Maybe we need “NumSPARQL”.

—Josh