Re: Coverage subgroup - document for discussion

Hi Rob - many thanks for your comments.  A few initial responses inline below, though it would be good to have a chance to these over at some point.  This mail is in a thread discussing the coverage work, but many of your comments are probably more general and relate to the spatial data best practices.  My comments below are mostly with a coverage hat on.

> On 19 May 2016, at 00:11, Rob Atkinson <rob@metalinkage.com.au> wrote:
>

> I would point out that this topic, and this thread, exhibit a wide range of overlapping concerns, that would lead a new user to the field to a difficult challenge in how to address whcihever of these concerns they face. That, in a nutshell, is why we need a BP IMHO.,
>
> Looking at the SDW charter we see:
> "The Recommendation will include provision for describing the subset of coverages that are simple timeseries datasets - where a time-varying property is measured at a fixed location. OGC's WaterML <http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/waterml> 2 Part 1 - Timeseries will be used as an initial basis.
> Given that coverage data can often be extremely large in size, publication of the individual data points as Linked Data may not always be appropriate. The Recommendation will include provision for describing an entire coverage dataset and subsets thereof published in more compact formats using Linked Data. For example where a third party wishes to annotate a subset of a large coverage dataset or a data provider wishes to publish a large coverage dataset in smaller subsets to support convenient reuse."

As I understand it, and I don’t have a history of immersion in the jargon of coverages, in principle 'coverage' can refer to a wide range of data structures with some spatial component.  However the use cases that we came up with and assigned to the 'coverage' strand relate mostly to gridded data, whether satellite images, or 2D or 3D model results etc.  That doesn’t mean we’re not interested in other kinds of data, but we have to decide where to concentrate our limited resources.

> In particular I would not limit the concept of spatial to coordinate geometry. IMHO need BP that allow us to describe coordinates, tesselations and other forms of grids with hierarchies, and hierarchies of nested features.  I would look for a BP that allowed the class of dimension to be easily recognised when defining the specific dimension of  a specific datacube, and the domain and range of the dimension to be easily accessed - i,e, definitions and values. I would also be hoping that there was a model that sould allow description of transformations between these, but I'd be happy merely for the mechanism for doing this to be identified.  Such a BP would allow me to characterise a s set of resources in a useful way, and start to work on the next steps.

A lot of my work outside of this working group relates to statistical data, generally referred to a tesselation of the country, i.e.a collection of administrative or statistical areas.  The existing RDF Data Cube is pretty well suited to that.  Something that is not defined in detail in the RDF Data Cube spec is describing hierarchical or other relationships between the values of the spatial dimension, but we certainly find that to be a common requirement, for example to enable aggregation of data from small areas to larger areas - and solve it by documenting and exploiting relationships between different values of the spatial dimension (eg the list of all areas of type X, that fall within larger area Y)

This kind of thing is indeed addressed in the draft best practices work - I have an action to write something on use of statistical data as part of our 'best practices narrative' - a realistic but imagined scenario based around a flooding incident, that involves application of the various strands of best practices work.

> The same applies to the time dimension, and the sensor.
>
> Each is complex, but some basic patterns for common cases would help, and provide the potential for future extension to describe how to process those dimensions.
>
> The characterisation of relationships between slices/dices/branes/queries/traversals/derivations etc is also very complex. My own predilection here would be to get the basics of QB dimension description done, and then provide some informative examples of how these may then be used in the context of formally describing a subset.  A future BP effort could then be applied to sorting out all the patterns.

What do you think is missing from the existing definitions of qb:DimensionProperty and the 'data structure definition' approach in RDF data cube? (that’s a genuine question, not an assertion that it’s already perfect!)  By the way, in a separate initiative associated with an EU funded research project around statistical linked data (http://www.opengovintelligence.eu <http://www.opengovintelligence.eu/>) , we’re gathering feedback on how people use RDF Data Cube in practice and their experience/preferences on how to apply the various features of the ontology.  If you’d like to feed into that, please let me know!

> SDMX is not the only possible scope, but at least we know there are a set of use cases it does handle. And as Kerry points out, there are things we need that it doesnt handle (yet). We know these extensions are complicated enough a BP is required.
>
> Each BP pattern would have a limited scope and an example of how it could applied in a specific circumstance, and a recomendation for further BP scope.

The work on the best practices document is broadly speaking following that kind of approach.  If you have some new use cases covering things that are not listed in the existing Use Cases and Requirements doc (UCR), it would be useful to document those. As I understand it the work on the UCR is still open to extensions.