Re: Coverage subgroup - document for discussion

Hi Chris

The idea of tiling or bounding boxes of data cubes is a very interesting
one. As you know the RDF Data Cube standard was heavily based on work in
the statistical community, SDMX in particular, and one aspect of that is
that the values of statistical dimensions often don't have a clear order,
so defining the equivalent of a bounding box is not obvious.  You could of
course define formal subsets of the values of a dimension - and indeed we
find ourselves doing that in SPARQL queries to support user interface tools
that let users pick bits of interest out of a data cube.

Many statistical datasets have a time dimension, and that at least can
generally be definitively sorted (though the intervals in the dimension
values are allowed to overlap).  Most often the spatial dimension is a list
of areas of interest - eg we work with a lot of datasets about all local
authorities in England.  Typically we order those for presentation
according to the alphabetical order of name or perhaps lexically by their
alpha-numeric code, but that's not much use for dicing.  A common 'dice'
might be: give me the population figures for women of working age for all
five districts in Oxfordshire in 2015.

Even for stats data, having some extension of the data cube to formally
define a 'dice' rather than 'slice' could be interesting, though it would
need some kind of set-based approach.

But yes, if applying the data cube approach to spatial data, where the
dimensions are x,y,z,t, then the approach to tiling/dicing becomes more
obvious and seems useful.

Cheers

Bill