Re: action-152: "subsetting"

I think "extract" is sometimes more natural when speaking about it (says
the German guy...), for example:
You can extract a vertical slice from a 4D grid coverage.
vs
You can subset a 4D grid coverage to a vertical slice.

Personally, I always use subset, just because you got to use something
and subset is not overloaded that much sometimes.

Having said that, there are also collections of coverages. And in that
case I usually speak of a filtered collection when I select coverages
according to some criteria. But this is really just because collection
filtering is an established term elsewhere. And of course you could also
filter a satellite image so that it only includes the parts within a
bounding box (a min max filter on latitude/longitude for example).

So, extract, subset, filter, it's all the same to me really. It's just
that in some sentences/contexts one or the other sounds better because
it is either more common or more natural. I agree though that "subset"
is not common in the webby world, and I would say that "extract" is more
associated with file unzipping.

Maik