W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > March 2016

[Minutes-BP] 2016-03-23

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 16:07:13 +0000
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <56F2BF31.2020108@w3.org>
The minutes of the BP Sub Group call this week are at 
https://www.w3.org/2016/03/23-sdwbp-minutes with a text snapshot below.

Note that in 2 weeks' time, this meeting moves back an hour to 13:00 UTC 
(09:00 EDST, 14:00 UK, 15:00 CEST)


           Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference

23 Mar 2016

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2016/03/23-sdwbp-irc

Attendees

    Present
           billroberts, ClemensPortele, eparsons, Linda, phila,
           ClausStadler, MattPerry, jtandy, joshlieberman,
           AndreaPerego, ScottSimmons

    Regrets
           Rachel, Bart

    Chair
           jtandy

    Scribe
           ClemensPortele

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]Patent Call
          2. [5]Work through flooding scenario from an actor
             perspective
      * [6]Summary of Action Items
      * [7]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    <eparsons> ClemensPortele you should be able to get the code
    now

    <billroberts> yep

    <scribe> scribe: ClemensPortele

    <jtandy> PROPOSED: approve last week's minutes
    [8]https://www.w3.org/2016/03/09-sdwbp-minutes

       [8] https://www.w3.org/2016/03/09-sdwbp-minutes

    <jtandy> +1

    <eparsons> +1

    <MattPerry> +1

    <billroberts> +1

    <ClausStadler> +0 (missed the meeting)

    <Linda> +1

    RESOLVED

    <phila> +1

    RESOLUTION: approve last week's minutes
    [9]https://www.w3.org/2016/03/09-sdwbp-minutes

       [9] https://www.w3.org/2016/03/09-sdwbp-minutes

    <joshlieberman> +1

Patent Call

    <eparsons> [10]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

      [10] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

    Linda: wants to discuss meeting time when DST starts in Europe
    ... Would be 5-6pm and 1-2 hours earlier would be better

    <joshlieberman> UTC?

    <jtandy> PROPOSED: new meeting time @ Wed 13:00 UTC

    <jtandy> +1

    <eparsons> +1

    +1

    <joshlieberman> +1

    <MattPerry> +1

    <Linda> +1

    <ClausStadler> +1

    <billroberts> 0 - can do either time equally

    <AndreaPerego> +1

    <joshlieberman> Any potential West Coasters?

    RESOLUTION: new meeting time @ Wed 13:00 UTC

    <joshlieberman> (of US)

Work through flooding scenario from an actor perspective

    <jtandy> For each of the actors, work through the flooding
    scenario (see BP Narrative) to determine how they interact with
    spatial information - as a publisher or consumer - in order to
    flesh out the scenario further and [begin to] define the
    examples we will need

    <phila> agenda:
    www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:BP-Telecon20160323

    <joshlieberman> My sense from the last meeting minutes is that
    use of the Web in the scenario has not been sufficiently
    explicit.

    jtandy: at the previous call, there was general agreement to
    use the scenario to restructure the best practices
    ... ... potentially merging some of the best practices

    <Linda> +1

    jtandy: do we all agree about this approach?

    eparsons: not completely convinced about the merging
    ... ... narrative and the best practices could also be read
    separately in isolation

    jtandy: so the primer may tell a story from a perspective that
    links bps

    (seems to be agreed)

    jtandy: we probably do not need to make a decision now

    <phila> joshlieberman: I agree that merging doesn't necessarily
    make sense. We can work on the narrative and make reference to
    the BPs as we go along.

    joshlieberman: agrees that the idea of merging does not make
    sense, but working on the narrative with links to the bp will
    provide context to a bp to see if it works (going from the
    narrative to the practice)

    jtandy: ok, so we may end up with two different sections in the
    document

    joshlieberman: another quibble is that the Web is not really
    part of the narrative

    jtandy: agrees about this, the narrative is currently
    lightweight
    ... ... with more text the Web aspect should be included, too

    Linda: Bart could not join today

    jtandy: Let's follow up with Bart

    joshlieberman: time and uncertainty aspects related to
    predictions should be added
    ... also proximity to the predicted flood extent

    <jtandy> [11]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Narrative

      [11] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Narrative

    <jtandy> ACTION: joshlieberman to add thoughts about flood
    prediction to the narrative at
    [12]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Narrative [recorded
    in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2016/03/23-sdwbp-minutes.html#action01]

      [12] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Narrative
      [13] http://www.w3.org/2016/03/23-sdwbp-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-151 - Add thoughts about flood
    prediction to the narrative at
    [14]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/bp_narrative [on
    Joshua Lieberman - due 2016-03-30].

      [14] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/bp_narrative

    <jtandy> ACTORS:

    <jtandy> professional spatial data publisher

    <jtandy> other professionals using this data

    <jtandy> citizens using social media

    <jtandy> web/app developers

    <jtandy> journalists

    <jtandy> emergecny responders

    <jtandy> citizens who are in danger of being flooded

    jtandy: look at the narrative from the actor's perspective

    <jtandy> 7 actors

    jtandy: 7 actors, eparsons and Rachel offered to take one role

    <eparsons>
    [15]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yVvmwK7kcT9PN7ai2unhvQH
    _hINGaQBIst4P9WTe4UM/edit?usp=sharing

      [15] 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yVvmwK7kcT9PN7ai2unhvQH_hINGaQBIst4P9WTe4UM/edit?usp=sharing

    eparsons: is this the right approach to take?

    jtandy: keep it snappy and do not make a long story, just to
    provide context so readers can emphasize

    <jtandy> in terms of level of detail: "does the narrative
    provide enough information to see if my problem is the same as
    the one described in the BP"

    <jtandy> "can you recognise these problems as your problems"

    jtandy: question is whether the connection between the
    narrative, the problem and the bp is understandable

    Linda: looking at eparsons's text, maybe take some parts out
    and rather put it in the bp text
    ... ... examples are good, looks good in general

    jtandy: any other thoughts?

    <jtandy> [eparsons also said that we need to have the narrative
    and best practices grounded in reality]

    <Linda> Some info could fit into the 'why' section of one of
    the BP's. But as editor I don't mind cutting and pasting.

    eparsons: this will be more complicated for some of the other
    actors

    jtandy: what is described how information could be found via
    search engines - in contrast how it works today in sdis
    ... ... or in unstructured text only
    ... in one of the last meetings we discussed how do we talk
    about "less than 5 star data"
    ... ... this is probably two star

    eparsons: yes, and we should not require everyone to jump to 5
    stars directly
    ... ... eg without the need to develop an ontology first

    billroberts: likes the idea of web pages, but a lot of the time
    the location of all of the schools may be needed
    ... ... so different ways are useful for different types of use
    cases
    ... ... support multiple ways to support multiple use cases

    jtandy: one bp is to support (multiple) formats for multiple
    user communities

    <AndreaPerego> +1

    joshlieberman: but it does not go far enough
    ... ... format does not differentiate the different
    representations and service interfaces
    ... ... eg an image from a WMS vs data from a SOS or
    SensorThings API

    eparsons: agrees with joshlieberman and billroberts. Another
    actor: the data integrator which does heavy lifting.
    ... ... this should not be the task of the data publisher so
    the we do not overload them and need to take the motivation
    into account

    jtandy: do you think there are sets of best practices for data
    integrators or "power data publishers"?

    eparsons: yes, but focus on the narrative now and see who is
    missing

    joshlieberman: need to work out from the narrative that
    something on the map image is the same thing as some JSON-LD
    object
    ... in WMS: GetFeatureInfo makes the link

    jtandy: currently nothing in the narrative that ties things
    together?
    ... joshlieberman, could you add something about this in the
    narrative?
    ... billroberts, would you be able to add something about
    spatial analysis (ie another professional user) into the
    narrative?

    <billroberts> sure, will do

    jtandy: to clarify joshlieberman's ACTION: professional user to
    reconcile information in a map with some crowd-sourced data

    Linda: will provide an update on the Geonovum testbed with
    recommended practices

    <Zakim> phila, you wanted to talk briefly about
    [16]http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#MultipleFormats

      [16] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#MultipleFormats

    <phila> [17]http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#MultipleFormats

      [17] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#MultipleFormats

    Linda: ... and content negotiation is not always the answer

    phila: the dwbp covers the general topic (see the link above)
    ... I have another topic for the next call [which the scribe
    has missed ;)]

    <phila> [18]Draft subsetting BP

      [18] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#EnableDataSubsetting

    billroberts: subsetting will discussed in the coverage call
    ... metadata in a web page will work for certain use cases
    (like a school director), but may work less good for others eg
    the director of a railway company that wants to publish all
    their railway stations

    jtandy: two types of professional users - one with single
    entities and one with many entities

    eparsons: and the answer is never a spreadsheet

    <eparsons> thanks all

    <eparsons> bye

    <AndreaPerego> Thanks, and bye!

    jtandy: please indicate on the wiki if you can take the role of
    an actor

    <billroberts> bye

    <joshlieberman> bye

    <ClausStadler> thanks, bye

    <Linda> bye

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: joshlieberman to add thoughts about flood
    prediction to the narrative at
    https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/BP_Narrative [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2016/03/23-sdwbp-minutes.html#action01]

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2016/03/23-sdwbp-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [20]approve last week's minutes
        https://www.w3.org/2016/03/09-sdwbp-minutes
     2. [21]new meeting time @ Wed 13:00 UTC

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________
Received on Wednesday, 23 March 2016 16:07:39 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:31:20 UTC