Re: Schema.org extension for spatial data

Thanks, Dan.

Below is a response from Lieke Verhelst on your email. I am working with Lieke in the Geonovum testbed and forward her email as I am a member of the SDW working group.

I hope it clarifies some of your questions. We will also add some examples this week or next.

Thanks and best regards,
Clemens

—
Hi Dan,

First of all thanks for your thoughts and comments. It helps us to better understand the search engines’ point of view.

Your assumption that “the idea is roughly to think through how a schema.org could/should handle these issues, rather than on bugfixes to our current (perhaps idiosyncratic) approach” is correct.

In the research our goal was to make *existing* (this is important) spatial data findable in the search engines. Ideally we would like to find this data via spatial questions such as:
“give me all buildings located in Valkenswaard”
“give me all schools located in Valkenswaard”

Spatial data usually do not have many attributes apart from the spatial ones. As a consequence questions that have a spatial component (like “located in”) are evaluated via calculations on coordinates. For this to work a spatial data engine is required. We were referencing to GeoSparql when we wrote  “there are vocabularies that better support (..spatial analyses..) ".

The sentence “search engines currently do not seem to be equipped with spatial indexes” is based on what we experience using a search engine that works with a search bar. (Obviously the Maps applications are an exception to the rule, and these applications are already widely used to publish spatial data, so out of scope for our research.) When a spatial question is entered, like give me all x located in y the UI can indeed show things on a map. But we assume that this is caused by attribute values such as schema:PostalAddress and not by making calculations on coordinates. So this mechanism will not work on our research data because this does not contain addresses, only coordinates.

Our research has been successful so far that we now are able to make existing geospatial data on the record level findable via the search bar ( example: "site:ldproxy.net/bag/ Appingedam" and: "site:opendatacat.net water" ) .

Our sgeo extension proposal was merely based on making it easier to mark up the data than to make a particular use case happen. Having that said it would be ideal if one day a person could ask "Give me all schema.org/Thing's in a radius of 100 meter around me… "or: "all schema.org/Thing's where I am inside of" . Obviously this is going to look like some kind of union of Maps & Search Bar.