Re: Agenda for Best Practice sub-group, 14:00UTC 1-June-2016

Simon, Matt, et al,

I’m struggling a bit with this right now. Theoretically, spatial relationships can only be computed / tested between geometries. Features are discerned Things in the world that don’t necessarily have spatial representations and so it makes sense that they are not themselves spatial objects. Features and geometries can be disjoint whether or not feature is a spatial object, but it gets awkward to make features disjoint from all other spatial objects (e.g. address, geographic name, region) if features are also spatial objects.

[Topological relationship creation also requires topological elements, although there is a question in my mind whether those elements are directly spatial spatial objects or an algebraic reduction of certain spatial relationships. It is related to the dimensionality issue, since topo elements are distinguished by dimension. There is also a question in my mind whether features and topo elements have to be disjoint as features and geometries are or whether a road centerline can also be a topo edge.]

Conceptually, though, one would like to express relationships between features themselves. For example, I would (very much) like to assert / infer / query that one hydrological catchment (a portion of a landscape) is inside of another one, not that one possible geometric representation of one catchment is interior to one possible geometric representation of the other catchment.

It seems that we can relate the two with a property chain, so that a relationship between geometries implies a relationship between the features, but does it make sense to use the same relationships for both if feature is not a spatial object? Alternatively, we could create “feature relationships”, e.g. gfInside for inside:

SubObjectPropertyOf(
   ObjectPropertyChain( :hasGeometry ehInsite [ owl:inverseOf :hasParent] )
   :gfInside
 )

In the end, I think we want to enable people to form the assertions that make sense to them, but also maximize the possibilities for query and inference. So I’m inclined towards creating feature-specific relations, some of which can be inferred from spatial object relations. Thoughts?

—Josh