Re: Agenda for Best Practice sub-group, 14:00UTC 1-June-2016

Hm, yes, good question. I did not remember that we made geo:Feature a geo:SpatialObject in the GeoSPARQL development. I agree with you, from the definitions this seems wrong. Perhaps that could be rediscussed, if there is a GeoSPARQL revision.

Clemens

On 1. Juni 2016 at 10:38:24, Andrea Perego (andrea.perego@jrc.ec.europa.eu<mailto:andrea.perego@jrc.ec.europa.eu>) wrote:

Hi, Clemens.

On 01/06/2016 8:26, Clemens Portele wrote:
> If we use 19107 as the basis, a TP_Object is a SpatialObject, too.
>
> This is the definition of "topological object" (the TP_Object):
> "spatial object representing spatial characteristics that are invariant
> under continuous transformations".
>
> The definition of "geometric object" (the GM_Object) is: "spatial object
> representing a geometric set" where geometric set is "a set of points".
>
> GeoSPARQL is consistent with this, geo:Geometry is a sub-class of
> geo:SpatialObject. If we would define xyz:Topology it should be a
> sub-class of geoSpatialObject, too.

What is unclear to me is why, in GeoSPARQL, feature is made a subclass
of spatial object.

Putting together the relevant ISO definitions:
- feature: "abstraction of real-world phenomena" (ISO 19101, 19107,
19109, 19156)
- spatial object: "object used for representing a spatial characteristic
of a feature" (ISO 19107)
- geometry (geometric object): "spatial object representing a geometric
set" (ISO 19107)

Based on them, a feature is not a spatial object - or I'm missing something?

Andrea