Re: Wanted: feedback on UCR requirements

Hi Rob,

Yes, there are similarities. To summarize Jeremy’s summary, there seem to be be 4 things we want out of these sorts of linkages:

1) Controlled code or label for the value of the property in question —  CRS, UoM, Phenomenon, etc.
2) Web-accessible reference to the definition of a property value, preferably allowing interchange of property definition system or vocabulary
3) Scheme for minting new labels / definitions
4) Machine-accessible property value definition, preferably with formal semantics that allows inference or at least computation of relations between values (e.g. re-projection, unit conversion).

This may be somewhat easier with CRS, since there are well established definitions and encodings that can are read by projection libraries. The label versus reference concern ( 1) versus 2)) still exists, however. I’ve include a simple crs property for geometries with an xsd:anyURI literal, but also CRS as a form of spatial model that can use an asWKT property for example. I haven’t addressed eithe 3) or 4) to this point, though.

—Josh