Re: Coverage subgroup update

Note: Please refer to Jeremy Tandy's latest email summarising the UoM
problem (and the CRS one for that matter).

This applies to all cases being discussed, including JSON-LD encoding.  We
need to have a consistent BP that we apply to both JSON-LD and RDf-Datacube
(and any other places where coverage dimensions are being described). IMHO
having a collection of ad-hoc approaches embedded in different BP would be
bad.

Can therefore Jon and Maik please review Jeremy's summary and revert back
to the sub-group with their perspective and a proposal?  Personally I think
JSON-LD is likely to be the easiest place, as its a pattern for decorating
data

Looking at Maiks original proposal:
{
  "@context": {
    "rdf": "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>,
    "qudt": "http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#" <http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#>,
    "skos": "http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#"
<http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#>
  },
  "rdf:value": 27.5, // for example purposes only
  "qudt:unit": {
    "@id": "qudt:DegreeCelsius",
    "skos:prefLabel": { "en": "Degree Celsius" },
    "qudt:symbol": {
      "@type": "http://www.opengis.net/def/uom/UCUM/"
<http://www.opengis.net/def/uom/UCUM/>,
      "@value": "Cel"
    }

I think this following my predilection that skos is used for labelling, and
declaring equivalences and model-independent hierarchies.

note that SKOS can also be used for notations (i think UCUM would be a
notation something like this, if ucum model was (virtually) available as an
ontology :-))
skos:notation "m/s"^^ucum:Unit

note also there is magic: the client needs to know about qudt and
understand in advance that a qudt element will contain relevant metadata.

The final thing that I beleive needs unpacking here is that we dont want to
specify the unit for every single result : and IMHO this collapses back to
the RDF-QB dimension model;

{
  "@context": {
    "rdf": "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
<http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>,
    "qudt": "http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#" <http://qudt.org/schema/qudt#>,
    "skos": " <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#>
http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#" <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#>
    "qb": "http://purl.org/linked-data/cube#"
  },
 {
   ..describe UoM here ...

   "qudt:unit": {
    "@id": "qudt:DegreeCelsius",
    "skos:prefLabel": { "en": "Degree Celsius" },
    "qudt:symbol": {
      "@type": "http://www.opengis.net/def/uom/UCUM/"
<http://www.opengis.net/def/uom/UCUM/>,
      "@value": "Cel"
    }
 {
    ... describe a qb:MeasureProperty here ..  using the UoM description
above
   .. note this can describe multipe dimensions - do we need a full
qb:component if we only have one dimension?
},
{
  " dimensionalThing": [ 27.5, 33.3, 56.2 ]
  }
}

I'm pretty sure this will give us a solution based on available standards -
the question is whether there is a lightweight encoding for the single
dimension and/or single result case - but why would we be using coverages
for such cases anyway rather than metadata-rich feature models?

Rob