RE: Glossary/Definitions - RE: [Minutes] 2016-02-09 F2F Day 2

Ok -- then I have no objection in principle.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Archer [mailto:phila@w3.org]
Sent: Thursday, 11 February 2016 11:00 PM
To: Kerry Taylor <kerry.taylor@anu.edu.au>; Linda van den Brink <l.vandenbrink@geonovum.nl>; Simon.Cox@csiro.au; public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Glossary/Definitions - RE: [Minutes] 2016-02-09 F2F Day 2

On 11/02/2016 09:59, Kerry Taylor wrote:
> As I understand, it would be an entirely separate, fresh, deliverable for our group - and although it is not technically a challenge for our group, I am not at all certain we have the resources either. Definitely scope creep!

Not a new deliverable, just a practical instantiation of the existing one.

> Would this be a joint W3C/OGC standard (I think that is what you are
> saying)

No.

  or an ISO TC 211 one, where SDW just offers the expertise and finds the labour?

Yes, the latter.

  If the latter, then they do not need our Group (and if members from our group have the will and resources to participate there, good on them).

> Sorry, Phil, I'm just trying to understand the opportunity and the cost.

The cost would be a small bit of work for someone to create a SKOS file (probably as turtle, RDF/XML, HTML and perhaps JSON-LD) that we would publish on w3.org somewhere (probably w3.org/2016/??/geo-glossary) - so not in /TR space. As Simon says, it's really because W3C has the infrastructure to do this easily (it's easy for us to do, I think more easy for us than OGC even).

@Linda - I don't see us writing new text around this or adapting the content at all. Just making it available in a Web-friendly way so that the BP doc can link to it where necessary.

Simon might have a student who could do it, I have a work experience lad with me in June who could do it etc.

That's all. Actually the bigger issue is making sure that TC211 is happy with us doing it - legally and relationship-wise.

Phil.

--

Phil Archer
W3C Data Activity Lead