Re: OWL-Time - RE: [Minutes] 2016-02-08

Hi Simon,

On 02/08/16 23:55, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:
> I noticed the discussion on OWL-Time in the minutes. A couple of
>
> 1. @aharth is sceptical about the size of the community that has
> requirements beyond what is handled by OWL-Time now. I discussed
> this briefly in my paper in Semantic Web Journal. There are the
> following concerns: - pre-contemporary applications - archaeology,
> geology, dynastic calendars, etc - cultural diversity - Hebrew,
> Arabic, Baha'i calendars, etc, even GPS time and Unix time are not
> currently allowed! The goal of my proposed changes to OWL-Time is
> only to allow these applications to use the same ontology, and not
> drive them elsewhere. These are indeed minority applications, so the
> solution I proposed does not disrupt existing encodings and
> applications - there would be no change to these. It merely adds
> some additional attributes to allow alternative TRS _when required_.
> The default remains the status quo.
>
> 2. Accuracy and precision - Chris can speak to these much more
> clearly than I can. I suspect these are more about actual practice
> rather than the real capability of the ontology if used properly, but
> Chris may have spotted some other issues.

thank you for the clarifications!

With this explanation I think extending the vocabulary could be
worthwhile, especially if the extensions only add to the current model.

My skepticism comes from the fact that modeling and representing
time is well and good, but ultimately users want to write queries
involving OWL Time's temporal relations and the properties converting
from/to ISO8601.

The Reference Interval Service [1] is a first step in that regard,
as one can use the service to translate from ISO8601 syntax to RDF
data in a schema that is mapped to OWL Time.

It might be that just having a time vocabulary is sufficient, even if
I know of no system that actually implements query functionality over
OWL Time data.

Cheers,
Andreas.

[1] http://www.epimorphics.com/web/projects/reference-interval-service