SSN discussion in RE: [Minutes] 2016-02-03

I see there was very interesting discussion in the meeting I was unable to attend this week.
Probably the biggest thing that jumps out to me is some clarification of scope of some of the pieces:

Sensor systems

- SSN is primarily about sensor networks. The Sensor-Stimulus-Observation pattern is central, but a bit hard to swallow for many users, so an everyday version is probably required
- In the OGC space, we only have SensorML in this scope area. SensorML was optimised for a very specific task - to support georeferencing of data collected from remote/moving platforms (satellites and planes). It is very flexible, and in principle supports the description of any sensor/platform system, and while it makes some very hard problems tractable, it also makes some easy problems very hard ;)

We are likely dealing with an either-or situation here. Use the one that makes sense for your application - SSN for reasoning over sensor installations and networks and the data generated by these, SensorML for converting low-level data streams to georeferenced 'coverages' (usually imagery).

Observing activities

SSN quite sensibly also included elements of a model for capturing the results of sensing activities. The word 'Observation' is used for records of these. Unfortunately this is subtly different to the way the word was used in the OGC context (where 'Observation' is the activity (occurrent) that generates a result), but close enough (with some semi-equivalent properties) to have caused some confusion. In many applications the confusion doesn't matter - the same information is available. But in semantic applications it probably does.

The observation-is-an-event (usually in the real world) conceptualization is by now embedded quite deep in the Geospatial standards stack. Most obviously in ISO 19156 (which is the ISO version of OGC O&M), but also in the recently published 2nd edition of ISO 19109*, where the observation viewpoint is presented as a complement to the Feature and Coverage viewpoints.

Sampling

Finally, there is a piece of the puzzle which is only promoted to first-class citizen in O&M- sampling. While a sampling strategy is usually implied by a sensing network, it is not called out directly. Experience particularly in the environmental sciences is that sample design is a fundamental aspect of the observational process, and can be considered independently to descriptions of sensors. And as certain spatial/topological patterns (at points, along curves, on surfaces, and in combinations often of lower-dimensional features embedded in higher-dimensional manifolds) are common in a lot of domains/disciplines, there is probably some merit in recognising this and providing a common language for them. (During the analysis and socialization phase of O&M we had discussions with a number of discipline groups, and in many many cases the essential clarification of their information model was achieved by making the sampling-features more explicit.)

Wrap

It looks like Jano and Payam provided some very nice clarifications in the meeting, with Chris also stirring the pot. It is absolutely the case that O&M is a rather simple, high-level model, and leaves plenty of work to be done to turn it into an application**. While O&M was not 'born semantic' we've done some work recently to remedy that and at least have an ontology version that can used for comparison. O&M is completely silent on the issues that are the main topic of SSN (sensing and sensors). But O&M has also had widespread deployment in real systems, so it appears to be 'just enough' for a lot of applications in the wild. In particular, O&M provides the query signature, and response payload, for OGC Sensor Observation Services. The recent appearance of a JSON version saw immediate adoption in a serious system (hosted by the Irish Marine Institute) so there is an itch to be scratched there too.

In the context of the OGC SWE initiative O&M was conceived as a more user-centric (or at least discovery-centric) view of sensor data then SensorML which is very provider centric. These different views are used quite naturally in different applications, or perhaps at different phases of a data discovery and processing exercise. I suspect that a similar factoring of concerns could be helpful in the modularization being considered for SSN.

By now this has taken longer to write than the length of the telecon that I missed. I hope it helps us move forward.

Simon

Footnotes

*ISO 19109 is called 'Rules for Application Schema', and is one of the more fundamental of the ISO 19100 series, as it defines a meta-model for geographic applications, based around typed features, their properties - some of which vary within the scope of a feature (i.e. coverages), and the assignment of property values - with 'observation' being one specialization of the "property-value-assignment" class. One view of Observations is that their description provides property-value-metadata, which in a sense ties back to Jano's record-oriented conceptualization.

** At the very least an application must provide instances of the classes Process*** (which is the placeholder for sensor, algorithm, observer), GF_PropertyType (aka attribute, parameter, observable property, measurand, variable), GF_Feature (the feature of interest, usually typed) to fill-in-the-blanks.

***In this case I confess that O&M made the wrong decision, which has led to some other confusion. I should have done my homework here. O&M Process is the agent involved in the observation, which might be a sensor or sensor-system, typically reusable - a continuant. I took a lead from SensorML here, and harmonization of terminology was considered desirable at the time. But the term Process is more often used in the broader community for an occurrent.