Re: Best Practice sub-team call: 14:00 UTC, 20-April-2016

On 19/04/2016 1:36, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:
> +1 for considering this openly.
>
> It is probably the issue that the wider community would most expect to
> see dealt with in the WG. However, it is definitely a tough issue, and
> I’m sceptical that it is possible or even desirable to imagine that a
> single solution is necessary.

I share Simon's concerns.

What for sure we can do is to group existing solutions (although they
are not filling all the gaps) based on the relevant use cases. So,
depending on what you would like to do, you're given a number of options.

BTW, this could also help understand where minor changes to existing
vocabularies can address open issues.

E.g., DWBP's DQV [1] includes now examples on how to model spatial
resolution; GeoDCAT-AP has a very lightweight solution for modelling the
CRS(s) used in datasets / services (basically, just by using Dublin Core
& SKOS); etc.

In this context, the "agreed spatial ontology" could then be a set of
best practices on how to re-use consistently and in an interoperable way
existing solutions. The question is whether this should be integral part
of the BP (which already includes the relevant use cases), or a
different document.

Does this make sense?

Andrea

----