W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > April 2016

[Minutes] 2016-04-13

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:06:05 +0100
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <570E524D.7010700@w3.org>
As ever, today's minutes are at https://www.w3.org/2016/04/13-sdw-minutes

Thanks to Bill for scribing.

Text version below.


           Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference

13 Apr 2016

    [2]Agenda

       [2] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20160413

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/04/13-sdw-irc

Attendees

    Present
           eparsons, robin, ClemensPortele, ScottSimmons,
           billroberts, kerry, jonblower, ChrisLittle, jtandy,
           joshlieberman, ahaller2, MattPerry, phila, Linda,
           RaulGarciaCastro

    Regrets
           Andrea, Andreas, Scott, Bart, Danh, Rachel, Lars, Frans

    Chair
           eparsons

    Scribe
           billroberts

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]OGC Patent call
          2. [6]OGC coordination and communication to the TC
          3. [7]GIScience Workshop Call for papers
          4. [8]SSN Publication update
          5. [9]Actions
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      * [11]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    <eparsons> Chair: eparsons

    <eparsons> waiting for phila to open the webex ?

    <phila> Coming..

    <eparsons> No rush :-)

    <phila> Grr, you shouldn't need me to do this.

    <eparsons> Don't look at the Topic line !!!

    <phila> Should be worky now

    <phila> Will join shortly

    <eparsons> Welcome jonblower !!!

    <jonblower> Thanks Ed! Just trying to remember the Webex link
    after a long absence from these calls...

    <eparsons> scribe: billroberts

    <eparsons> Topic : Approve last week's minutes

    <jonblower> OK I am being very thick - what is the meeting
    number for Webex?

    <eparsons> Proposed : Approve last week's minutes

    on the meetings page jon

    <eparsons> [12]http://www.w3.org/2016/03/30-sdw-minutes.html

   http://www.w3.org/2016/03/30-sdw-minutes.html

    +1

    <eparsons> +1

    <ScottSimmons> +1

    <Linda> +1

    <MattPerry> +1

    <ahaller2> +1

    <joshlieberman> +1

    <robin> +1

    <eparsons> RESOLUTION : Approve last week's minutes

    <ChrisLittle> +0 not present

OGC Patent call

    <eparsons> Topic : Patent Call

    <eparsons> [13]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

      [13] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

OGC coordination and communication to the TC

    joshliebermann: activity in the group so far has mostly been in
    W3C hosted forums such as these calls. Possible for OGC members
    to keep up, but we haven't actively promoted it to OGC
    membership
    ... consequences are not getting as much feedback and input as
    we might
    ... look at ways of getting this group's activity more into
    view of the OGC members
    ... some 'translation' is needed for OGC people who may not be
    familiar with the group's ways of working, or background on use
    of web etc
    ... so not only deliver material but also bridge the divide in
    terms of backgrounds

    <phila> Meeting number: 642 889 345

    eparsons: we make use of the OGC geosemantics working group as
    a mechanism for feeding back SDW work to OGC
    ... those involved in geosemantics group probably already know
    about this stuff
    ... want to reach out to the broader membership of the OGC

    <jtandy> he's just unmuted

    chrislittle: there are usually 4 parallel sessions at OGC face
    to face meetings, so even those who want to get to geosemantics
    meetings may not be able to
    ... perhaps present at plenary sessions, though agenda may
    often be full

    ScottSimmons: each group gets 5 minutes to present what they've
    done in a quarter, so not much of an opportunity
    ... would be valuable for this group to have a more substantial
    report at OGC TC meetings
    ... invite this group to speak at next TC webinar in May, but
    can also reserve time at the next opening or closing plenary
    for a 20+ minute slot for this group

    eparsons: asks Josh if that sounds like it would help

    joshliebermann: other possibilities include short monthly blog
    posts on SDW
    ... OGC has made a domain subgroup for this work. That might
    get involve in standards development, eg on ontologies
    ... the final part of this collaboration could be to charter
    one or more standards working groups to develop OGC standards
    that could become W3C/OGC best practices

    <Zakim> jtandy, you wanted to refer back to my previous wacky
    idea about GeoSPARQL 1.1

    eparsons: a challenge is the SDW work cuts across several
    different working groups of OGC

    jtandy: made a suggestion on a previous call that Geosparql
    could be modified to take into account GeoJSON literals - an
    example of the kind of thing that SDW is doing, that could be
    used to illustrate to OGC members what we are doing
    ... as we define these kind of tasks, use them to help explain
    what we are doing

    <joshlieberman> +1 to jtandy

    eparsons: there is some urgency as not many OGC TC meetings
    left during the chartered time of the SDW group
    ... so frequent blog post idea will help match the tempo of
    this group to less frequent TC meetings

    <jonblower> +1 to use of blog posts (also relevant LinkedIn
    groups). There are many more people who want to keep in touch
    with this stuff than can physically attend the TC meetings.

    joshliebermann: supports jtandy's suggestion. The GeoSPARQL
    example is a good one. Currently topical at OGC. So a good
    first standards activity to jump on

    <jtandy> +1 to joshlieberman

    eparsons: should take advantage of Scott's offer of time at the
    TC plenary

    Linda: have held SDW subgroup meetings at OGC. Should I
    schedule one for the next OGC meeting?

    <Zakim> kerry, you wanted to discuss goesparql standard

    eparsons: good idea

    <joshlieberman> +1 to Linda, especially as an ad hoc GeoSPARQL
    SWG session.

    <eparsons> action linda to add sdw session to next ogc meeting

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-156 - Add sdw session to next ogc
    meeting [on Linda van den Brink - due 2016-04-20].

    kerry: the work of SDW is crossing both standards
    organisations. No objection to OGC picking up on GeoSPARQL, but
    how does that relate to W3C?

    phila: it depends. Might have to check with the W3 lawyer
    ... interested in that kind of OGC activity but formally none
    of W3C business. If discussed in SDW forum , then should
    probably be joint
    ... example of it going other way: updated time ontology being
    developed under W3 auspices and is being 'given' to OGC
    ... if there is a definite proposal, phila will check status

    eparsons: Josh, where should a blog post go?

    joshliebermann: there is a blog as part of the OGC website that
    Denise publicises

    action joshliebermann to draft a first blog post

    <trackbot> Error finding 'joshliebermann'. You can review and
    register nicknames at
    <[14]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    action joshlieberman to draft a first blog post

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-157 - Draft a first blog post [on
    Joshua Lieberman - due 2016-04-20].

    <joshlieberman> only 1 "n" in lieberman

    Yes, sorry Josh - I've been spelling your name consistently
    wrongly till now! will get it right from now on!

    ScottSimmons: this group is unusual in its cross-cutting nature

GIScience Workshop Call for papers

    <eparsons> [15]http://stko.geog.ucsb.edu/sdw16/

      [15] http://stko.geog.ucsb.edu/sdw16/

    <joshlieberman> [16]http://www.opengeospatial.org/blog

      [16] http://www.opengeospatial.org/blog

    eparsons: for information, Krystof has been organising a
    workshop in Montreal in September
    ... covering spatial data on the web etc. Ed invites group to
    submit relevant papers
    ... timing of the research meeting may be too late to feed
    substantially into SDW deliverables, but a good chance to
    publicise our work and take it to a broadly academic audience

SSN Publication update

    joshlieberman: challenge to people to take on some of the
    technical issues we have raised

    kerry: SSN editors were hoping to get FPWD of SSN deliverable
    by end of April. So would like to propose a vote on that in the
    next SDW plenary meeting in 2 weeks.
    ... might not be possible but working towards it.
    ... so kerry would like to highight to the group to pay close
    attention to progress in SSN subgroup so that they are well
    informed when it comes to a vote
    ... so would like to draw attention to the current Github doc:
    [hunts for link]

    eparsons: do you want specific feedabck in next two weeks?

    <ahaller2> [17]http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/

      [17] http://w3c.github.io/sdw/ssn/

    kerry: important issues (1) modularisation work, notably the
    approach to modularisation
    ... and finally the list of issues, which is a statement of
    what the group plans to do before it finishes. Would like
    feedback on priorities
    ... and especially anything people disagree with

    phila: if the document is changing very rapidly, then it may be
    best to wait until rate of change has reduced before proposing
    it for FPWD
    ... another week or two would help get it together before going
    to FPWD

    kerry: thinks it will be moderately stable in a week, but may
    be ambitious

    phila: that sounds fine

    <ChrisLittle_> 17 issues currently

    kerry: those issues will deliberately not be resolved before
    FPWD. They are there to seek feedback

    <phila> agenda:
    [18]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Telecon201604
    13

      [18] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20160413

    <jtandy> [I think that including scoping issues in the SSN
    draft is fine]

    <phila> chair; Ed

    <phila> chair: Ed

    eparsons: that's very useful feedback from the SSN subgroup
    ... any other subgroup leaders want to report?

    jtandy: no BP group meeting last week. Difficult to maintain
    momentum at the moment
    ... focus is still ta make the narrative around the flooding
    scenario more concrete. Several people who want to help but
    they may not be sure how to start
    ... so down to editors to provide more leadership on a plan of
    work
    ... have talked about a next draft of BP at end of May, but
    that looks unlikely
    ... though have identified useful OGC content that can help

    phila: there is a reason the action tracker requires a specific
    person to be identified. Suggests identifying specific tasks
    for specific people

    <jtandy> [i agree with @phila!]

    <eparsons> billroberts Coverage early days for subgroup

    <eparsons> billroberts email to list sent today has good
    summary

    <eparsons> billroberts Scope focus on extracts of coverage

    <eparsons> billroberts Need now to select solution - and
    criteria to select solution

    <Zakim> phila, you wanted to talk about progress in CEO-LD

    phila: the Chinese part of the CEO-LD collaboration is making
    progress

    <jtandy> +1 to to cool

    phila: and has a way of taking a GeoTIFF and converting it to
    CoverageJSON

    jonblower: next week's scheduled coverage telecon is during the
    EGU meeting

    <jtandy> +1 to see the presentations please

    jonblower: might be an opportunity for a face to face meeting
    if others are there
    ... EGU is European Geoscience Union
    ... will try to forward relevant presentations to this group
    and will aim to call in from the EGU meeting

    eparsons: how mainstream is Jon's work for EGU?

    <kerry> ACTION: jonblower to share EGU Austria presentations of
    relevance to us [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2016/04/13-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2016/04/13-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-158 - Share egu austria presentations
    of relevance to us [on Jon Blower - due 2016-04-20].

    jonblower: EGU is 10-15,000 people so it's a niche interest,
    but within informatics track it's as mainstream as anything. So
    definitely within scope

    <eparsons> Topic : W3C TPAC and F2F in Lisbon

    <eparsons>
    [20]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings#TPAC_2015.2C_
    Lisbon

      [20] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings#TPAC_2015.2C_Lisbon

    eparsons: emphasises the value of attending the F2F meeting in
    Lisbon
    ... and includes an opportunity to meet the broader W3C
    community

    phila: there will also be remote access properly. Please fill
    in the wiki page to help the planning process
    ... other relevant groups meeting: automotive, web of things
    and many others
    ... SDW F2F is the Monday and Tuesday. Social meetup on Sunday
    afternoon for those who are there

Actions

    joshlieberman: points out important typo! '2015' should read
    '2016'

    <eparsons>
    [21]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/open

      [21] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/open

    <phila> action-25?

    <trackbot> action-25 -- Jeremy Tandy to Help with glossary --
    due 2015-05-13 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/25

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/25

    eparsons: [23]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/25
    on jtandy

      [23] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/25

    jtandy: the dog ate my homework

    <jonblower> can I close one of my actions via this IRC?

    <phila> action-58?

    <trackbot> action-58 -- Kerry Taylor to Keep in contact with
    wot re actuation -- due 2015-07-15 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/58

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/58

    kerry: this is a long term process and ongoing. Was discussed
    in last meeting. Keep it open

    <jtandy> close action-105 as time expired

    <phila> action-101?

    <trackbot> action-101 -- Bill Roberts to Compile a list of
    geospatial vocabularies in rdf -- due 2015-11-25 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [25]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/101

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/101

    <phila> billroberts: There was some discussion on the mailing
    list. I should go through that and summarise

    <phila> ... I will treat myself by wrapping that up in the next
    2 weeks

    <phila> action-105?

    <trackbot> action-105 -- Jeremy Tandy to Provide clemensportele
    a list of further attributes required to describe each data
    format (relates to action 98) -- due 2015-12-02 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [26]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/105

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/105

    <phila> close action-105

    <trackbot> Closed action-105.

    jtandy: things have moved on, so no longer relevant

    <phila> action-107?

    <trackbot> action-107 -- Phil Archer to Propose some wording
    around https cf http -- due 2015-12-09 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/107

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/107

    phila: this has been discussed recently at W3. Most browsers
    redirect http to https, but some don't
    ... for now please share the http link

    <jtandy> thanks to @phila for the clarification

    phila: assumption that http and https should deliver same
    content

    <jtandy> YES

    <jonblower> close action-145

    <trackbot> Closed action-145.

    kerry: how should we deliver content? so still use http to
    refer to the link, even if there is no http (no-s) version
    available?

    eparsons: yes
    ... next plenary in 2 weeks time. Bye!

    <RaulGarciaCastro> Bye

    <phila_> Thanks billroberts

    bye

    <ahaller2> bye

    <eparsons> bye everone !

    <joshlieberman> bye

    <ClemensPortele> bye

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: jonblower to share EGU Austria presentations of
    relevance to us [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2016/04/13-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

      [28] http://www.w3.org/2016/04/13-sdw-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________
Received on Wednesday, 13 April 2016 14:07:09 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 24 March 2022 20:31:20 UTC