ACTION-94 a few thoughts

From: Bill Roberts <bill@swirrl.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:24:44 +0000
To: Bart van Leeuwen <Bart_van_Leeuwen@netage.nl>, "public-sdw-wg@w3.org" <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Hi Bart

Feel free to ignore or use these as you see fit, but I made a few notes the
other day about ACTION-94 (at a point when I had got confused and thought
it was one for me!)

how to "make the links within the dataset discoverable" ?

We assume we have a dataset containing information about spatial things.
To be able to link to that information via the web, each spatial thing
(and/or each information object about a thing) should have a URI - see 7.6.

How does a user discover what information is contained within the dataset?

- 'reconciliation APIs' - allowing the user to do a text search on labels
or other API request to help them find a URI that matches an entity that
they have some description of
- allow search engines to index the data - if each URI responds sensibly to
a HTTP GET, and something links to it, then a search engine crawler can
find it and index it.
- catalogues - perhaps a simple list page, perhaps also containing metadata
or a subset of the information about each resource
- site search features
- SPARQL endpoint