Re: ACTION-98: Look at a list/matrix of the common formats (geojson, gml, rdf, json-ld) and what you can or can't achieve with it

> I agree Spatialite is a interesting case, a database that is also a file..
> esri's file geodatabase would be similar..

Yes, geodatabase could be anotother candidate. Or do we only want to
describe open, non-proprietary, somewhat current formats? At least that
would help to keep the matrix manageable. Otherwise we would need to add
more formats (take a look at the list of OGR formats
<http://www.gdal.org/ogr_formats.html> for example)

And how about adding SVG? It was discussed before, so it makes sense to add
it.

And if we add a row 'supports topology', then TopoJSON is an interesting
candidate too. Well, I think the topology support criterion is good to have
anyway.

I did some quick websurfing to find out if GeoPackage and SpatiaLite could
be lumped together. I'm not sure, but it could be they differ in some
respects. For example, it seems that SpatiaLite allows multiple geometry
columns in a table while GeoPackage does not (I have not tested this). That
would mean they would differ in the row 'supports multiple geometries per
feature'.

> This is great work Clemens alhough I share your thoughts around JSON-LD
> we are premature calling a spatial format at the moment.

Yes, JSON-LD is an odd one in the matrix. It is not intended as a way to
encode spatial data, it is someting on another level (an RDF format, or a
document annotation format).

Regards,
Frans

Ed