W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > November 2015

[Minutes] 2015-11-11

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 21:10:14 +0000
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <5643AEB6.1040903@w3.org>
As ever, the minutes of this week's meeting are at 
http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes with a snapshot below for 
convenience.


           Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference

11 Nov 2015

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-irc

Attendees

    Present
           kerry, frans, LarsG, ClemensPortele, Linda, Payam,
           BartvanLeeuwen, eparsons, billroberts, AndreaPerego,
           ahaller2, KJanowicz, phila

    Regrets
           Rachel Heaven, Jeremy Tandy, Scott Simmons, Jon Blower,
           Simon Cox, Matt Perry, Chris Little, Andreas Harth,
           Alejandro Llaves

    Chair
           Kerry

    Scribe
           clemens

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]last meeting minutes
          2. [5]Patent call
          3. [6]approve Sapporo minutes
          4. [7]Call for editors for Time and SSN
          5. [8]UCR: Strategy to resolve issues for PWD approval 9
             December
          6. [9]UCR: Issue-16 Time req. out of scope - Valid time
          7. [10]BP: Expanding best practice topics
          8. [11]Reminder: next F2F Netherlands 8-10 Feb 2016
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <trackbot> Date: 11 November 2015

    <kerry> scribe: clemens

    <kerry> scribenick: ClemensPortele

last meeting minutes

    [13]http://www.w3.org/2015/10/25-sdw-minutes

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2015/10/25-sdw-minutes

    [14]http://www.w3.org/2015/10/26-sdw-minutes

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2015/10/26-sdw-minutes

    <kerry> +1

    <Linda> +1

    <Payam> +1

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +1

    <KJanowicz> +1

    kerry: approving minutes...

    <LarsG> 0 (wasn't there...)

    kerry: minutes approved

    <kerry> [15]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

      [15] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

Patent call

    (nothing declared)

    <frans> I think we just approved the sapporo minutes but not
    the minutes last weeks meeting?

    <eparsons> +1

    <kerry> [16]http://www.w3.org/2015/10/26-sdw-minutes

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2015/10/26-sdw-minutes

approve Sapporo minutes

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +1

    <kerry> [17]http://www.w3.org/2015/10/25-sdw-minutes

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2015/10/25-sdw-minutes

    <Linda> +1

    <eparsons> Proposed : Approve F2F Meeting Minutues

    <kerry> +1

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +1

    <KJanowicz> +1

    <eparsons> Approved : Approve F2F Meeting Minutes

Call for editors for Time and SSN

    kerry: asks for volunteers

    <KJanowicz> Happy to help editing the SSN

    kerry: contact Kerry or Ed, if you are interested
    ... there is interest already, but please come forward, if you
    are interested

UCR: Strategy to resolve issues for PWD approval 9 December

    kerry: goal is clean up and new public draft
    ... ...then OGC and W3C processes
    ... ...should take roughly 9 days to get them through both
    organisations
    ... ...reminder this is not the final version, but should
    become more and more stable

    BartvanLeeuwen: is there room for new use cases?

    frans: yes, until the document is final there is room, but the
    sooner the better

    BartvanLeeuwen: hopes to have it before the end of the year, so
    probably after the 2nd PWD
    ... it is already recorded as an action (ACTION-89?)

    kerry: match the use case and the products

    frans: tracker has matches, some issues are still open - with a
    discussion thread
    ... proposing to shift responsibility for resolving from UCR
    editors to the editors of the other deliverables

    <frans> ISSUE-15: time

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-15 Time req. not clear -
    represent past, present and future.

    <frans> ISSUE-18: coverage

    <frans> ISSUE-19: coverage

    <frans> ISSUE-20: SSN

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-18 Model Reuse.

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-19 Multiple types of coverage
    requirement.

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-20 Reference external
    vocabularies.

    <frans> ISSUE-23: BP

    <frans> ISSUE-24: SSN

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-23 phrasing of the spatial
    operators requirement.

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-24 clarification of lightweight
    APIs requirement.

    <frans> ISSUE-26: time

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-26 clarification of temporal
    vagueness requirement.

    frans: ... these editors need to look at the use cases anyhow

    <frans> ISSUE-28: BP

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-28 That a default crs is a
    requirement.

    <frans> ISSUE-29: BP

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-29 Add a requirement for
    linking geometry to CRS.

    <frans> ISSUE-30: BP

    <trackbot> Notes added to ISSUE-30 UCR: missing requirement --
    local/contextual spatial references.

    frans: any comments on the proposal?

    eparsons: a sensible way forward

    frans: we could create actions for each deliverable / issue
    pair

    kerry: sounds good

    <scribe> ACTION: frans to create actions that matches UCR
    issues and deliverables [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-93 - Create actions that matches ucr
    issues and deliverables [on Frans Knibbe - due 2015-11-18].

    <eparsons> Thank you Frans !!!

    kerry: anything else for UCR, frans?

    frans: join the discussions

UCR: Issue-16 Time req. out of scope - Valid time

    <kerry> [19]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/16

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/16

    frans: special attention on ISSUE-16, is not related to a
    particular deliverable

    <phila> issue-16?

    <trackbot> issue-16 -- Time req. out of scope - Valid time --
    open

    <trackbot> [20]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/16

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/issues/16

    frans: should we discuss now?

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +1

    frans: problematic without Simon etc

    (agreement to move to next week)

    kerry: follow the list and let's try to get to a conclusion
    next week

    <kerry> BP: Expanding best practice topics

BP: Expanding best practice topics

    kerry: not much time until 9 December

    Linda: in Sapporo most of the meeting was spent on BP
    ... ...discussion on narratives, took notes during discussion
    ... ...currently post-processing the notes to prepare topics
    that other could provide content or examples

    <Linda> [21]http://w3c.github.io/sdw/bp/#bp-linking

      [21] http://w3c.github.io/sdw/bp/#bp-linking

    Linda: linking data is the first topic

    <Linda> - How to make the links within a dataset discoverable

    Linda: anyone who could provide input how to create good links,
    get the right granularity, etc?

    BartvanLeeuwen: is working on a demo for bridging WFS and
    linked data
    ... Is that something that is relevant for this topic?

    Linda: Yes

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +1

    <kerry> ACTION: bart to write about make the links within the
    dataset discoverable [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action02]

      [22] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-94 - Write about make the links
    within the dataset discoverable [on Bart van Leeuwen - due
    2015-11-18].

    <KJanowicz> Bart: wrt WFS and Linked Data, see
    [23]http://carsten.io/jones-kuhn-kessler-scheider-agile2014.pdf
    (and other implementations)

      [23] http://carsten.io/jones-kuhn-kessler-scheider-agile2014.pdf

    kerry: clarification about the process? email ok or change
    Github directly?

    Linda: Both fine, as long as we get the content

    frans: what kind of links? all links or spatial links?

    Linda: not specified, but should be related to spatial aspects,
    eg also links into spatial datasets

    eparsons: could be linking to a thing or the spatial
    representation, there may be a difference

    <BartvanLeeuwen>
    [24]http://w3c.github.io/sdw/bp/#h-bp-clear-semantics

      [24] http://w3c.github.io/sdw/bp/#h-bp-clear-semantics

    <phila> Yes, it was Linksets

    <KJanowicz> +1

    BartvanLeeuwen: need to clarify what's in scope, what's spatial

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +1

    <AndreaPerego> +1

    eparsons: need to clarify that something without a geometry may
    be considered spatial and within scope of our work

    <kerry> ACTION: linda to add to scope and link data section --
    comment o spatail data without a geometry is in scope here
    [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action03]

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-95 - Add to scope and link data
    section -- comment o spatail data without a geometry is in
    scope here [on Linda van den Brink - due 2015-11-18].

    Linda: will add this to the BP

    frans: where one is coming from will influence how that topic
    is understood
    ... ...different audiences may require a different wording

    <kerry> +1 to serve both groups of readers in same doc

    Linda: not clear yet how to address this

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +1 for one document

    <eparsons> +1 to serve both may need to be more explicit as a
    result..

    <Zakim> phila, you wanted to say reduce your assumptions

    phila: agrees with frans
    ... one document, we just need to be clear and make no
    assumptions about prior knowledge

    <frans> Or: make liberal use of the ability to link to
    definitions

    <phila> <abbr title="World Wide Web Consortium">W3C</abbr>

    phila: maybe use abbr mechanism in more cases

    kerry: this is about more than just acronyms
    ... need to think how to present the different viewpoints,
    likely after 9 December

    <Linda> - Making your spatial data more useful by including
    links to wellknown spatial resources (things like GeoNames,
    Wiki/dbPedia, OSM etc)

    Linda: any volunteers for this topic?

    billroberts: I can have a go at that

    <kerry> ACTION: billroberts to write on make the links within
    the dataset discoverable [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action04]

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Error finding 'billroberts'. You can review and
    register nicknames at
    <[27]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.

      [27] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    <kerry> actio

    <Linda> - Example of how you could link to a particular version
    of a thing

    <phila> ACTION: roberts to write on make the links within the
    dataset discoverable [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action05]

      [28] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-96 - Write on make the links within
    the dataset discoverable [on Bill Roberts - due 2015-11-18].

    Linda: any volunteers for this topic? in particular an
    example...

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +q

    frans: what is the spatial aspect?

    eparsons: not particularly spatial, but occurs often with
    spatial data

    frans: I experienced it more as a temporal than a spatial
    problem

    <Zakim> phila, you wanted to talk about Annette Grainier

    phila: discussed with DWBP group whether that group has
    subsetting use case that is not spatial
    ... will follow up on this to clarify relationship between
    groups

    <kerry> ACTION: phila to work on subsetting links [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action06]

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action06]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-97 - Work on subsetting links [on
    Phil Archer - due 2015-11-18].

    kerry: there is a topic in the DWBP, but high level - we
    probably need to go deeper

    phila: either provide DWBP with better text or we add it in our
    own

    kerry: probably in our own for now

    billroberts: versioning should be in scope, but reference
    elsewhere and put it in a "spatial context" using an example

    Linda: agrees, it should be an example

    (discussion about whether a best practice on this topic already
    exists)

    frans: how to match requirements

    Linda: but should be done without loosing the narrative flow

    <Linda> - A list/matrix of the common formats (GeoJSON, GML,
    RDF, JSON-LD) and what you can or can't achieve with it.

    <frans> RDF is a format?

    Linda: any volunteers?

    phila: this will require input from more than one person and
    may trigger quite a bit of discussion

    kerry: maybe a first attempt for now?

    <KJanowicz> frans: not in a strict sense

    <kerry> ACTION: clemens to look at A list/matrix of the common
    formats (GeoJSON, GML, RDF, JSON-LD) and what you can or can't
    achieve with it. [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action07]

      [30] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action07]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-98 - Look at a list/matrix of the
    common formats (geojson, gml, rdf, json-ld) and what you can or
    can't achieve with it. [on Clemens Portele - due 2015-11-18].

Reminder: next F2F Netherlands 8-10 Feb 2016

    kerry: put Feb 8/9/10 in your calendar

    <frans> 8th of february? Bring your ice skates

    <phila> Looking forward to being in NL again

    <KJanowicz> where exactly will the meeting take place?

    <BartvanLeeuwen> Amersfoort

    <frans> We have one hill, no mountains

    <BartvanLeeuwen> ACTION: to BartvanLeeuwen create a wikipage
    with information and participants [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action08]

      [31] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action08]

    <trackbot> Error finding 'to'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[32]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    <phila> [33]Amersfoort

      [33] 
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Amersfoort,+Netherlands/@52.1590355,5.0976695,10z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47c65a9d79977bf1:0x3c16cc2a7f76991e

    <BartvanLeeuwen> ACTION: to Bart create a wikipage with
    information and participants [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action09]

      [34] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action09]

    <trackbot> Error finding 'to'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[35]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.

      [35] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    <BartvanLeeuwen> ACTION: to bart create a wikipage with
    information and participants [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action10]

      [36] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action10]

    <trackbot> Error finding 'to'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[37]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.

      [37] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    <phila> ACTION: Bart to create a wikipage with information and
    participants [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action11]

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action11]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-99 - Create a wikipage with
    information and participants [on Bart van Leeuwen - due
    2015-11-18].

    <AndreaPerego> Thanks and bye

    <Linda> meeting location:
    [39]http://www.geonovum.nl/contact/adres-en-route

      [39] http://www.geonovum.nl/contact/adres-en-route

    <eparsons> thanks bye !

    <KJanowicz> thanks, bye bye

    <billroberts> thanks, bye

    <BartvanLeeuwen> ths bye

    thanks and bye!

    <kerry> bye!

    <Payam> thanks, bye

    <LarsG> thanks, bye

    <ahaller2> thanks, bye

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Bart to create a wikipage with information and
    participants [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action11]
    [NEW] ACTION: bart to write about make the links within the
    dataset discoverable [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: billroberts to write on make the links within the
    dataset discoverable [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: clemens to look at A list/matrix of the common
    formats (GeoJSON, GML, RDF, JSON-LD) and what you can or can't
    achieve with it. [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: frans to create actions that matches UCR issues
    and deliverables [recorded in
    [44]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: linda to add to scope and link data section --
    comment o spatail data without a geometry is in scope here
    [recorded in
    [45]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: phila to work on subsetting links [recorded in
    [46]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: roberts to write on make the links within the
    dataset discoverable [recorded in
    [47]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: BartvanLeeuwen to create a wikipage with
    information and participants [recorded in
    [48]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action08]

      [40] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action11
      [41] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action02
      [42] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action04
      [43] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action07
      [44] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action01
      [45] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action03
      [46] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action06
      [47] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action05
      [48] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/11-sdw-minutes.html#action08

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________
Received on Wednesday, 11 November 2015 21:10:25 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 2 September 2016 12:03:09 UTC