Re: UCR issue: phrasing of CRS requirement(s)

From: Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 17:23:23 +0200
To: Kerry.Taylor@csiro.au, L.Svensson@dnb.de, eparsons@google.com, janowicz@ucsb.edu
CC: public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Dear all,

> Oddly, perhaps, schema.org seems not to care about CRS at all:
> http://schema.org/GeoCoordinates

Not really, they rely on us! Please, see the current issue at
https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/113

> Can we take inspiration from the former one  (geo)  and admit
> alternative CRSs that must be identified by virtue of the ontology
> (and therefore namespace, assuming a 1-1 relationship) that is used?

+1! Note that CRS could also have stable URIs to use. The French
National Geographic Institute (IGN) aims to provide such stable URIs for
the numerous CRSs used by French authorities.

> This could do for  *referencing* a  CRS without ever needing a
> "default". For the *description" of a CRS, I would vote to defer that
> to the OGC by its existing methods, and I see no reason why that
> description needs to have a linked data representation,  beyond an
> ontology that permits its use.

Please, note that we have already a vocabulary for describing CRSs,
based on ISO 19111. It is available at http://data.ign.fr/def/ignf and
see
http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/webvowl/#iri=http://data.ign.fr/def/ignf
to see the description of the vocab in your favorite language.
Best regards.

   Raphaël

--
Raphaël Troncy