From: Frans Knibbe [mailto:frans.knibbe@geodan.nl]
Sent: Saturday, 9 May 2015 12:51 AM
To: SDW WG Public List; Jeremy Tandy
Subject: The semantics of requirements and principles

Hello everyone (particularly Jeremy, on account of action 25<http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/25>),

In trying to fullfill action 24<http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/24> I have just made some entries in our glossary<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Glossary_of_terms>. I have added definitions of the term requirement<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Glossary_of_terms#requirement> and its subclasses functional requirement<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Glossary_of_terms#functional_requirement> and non-functional requirement<https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Glossary_of_terms#non-functional_requirement>.

At this point, I would like to ask the group members the following:

  1.  Do you agree with the definitions?
  2.  We could say that functional requirements and non-functional requirements together form the complete set of possible requirements. Could there be practical problems with such a viewpoint?
I have not added a definition for 'principles' yet, because I thought it would be smart to agree on the definitions of requirements first, and see if there is a need for additional terms later. If there is, I do see a resemblence between the term business requirements<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_requirements> and the term 'principles' as it has been used in this group.

Regards,
Frans

--
Frans Knibbe