Re: Working list of BP requirements identified during the SDW WG f2f

On 2015-03-16 10:04, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:
> Thanks Andrea.
>
> Though I was not present in the meeting, I'd like to add a couple of considerations:
>
> 1.1 URIs should be stable/persistent - I have seen suggestions that URIs can be easily minted using database keys. The risk with these is that keys are probably less stable than the things identified.
Yes, that is a suggestion I made when the  discussion drifted towards
already finding answers for the requirements that we were supposed to
harvest. I think using database keys defers the problem of finding a
scheme for minting URIs to the scheme that is used in the relational
database. In some cases, database keys will be designed and assigned is
such a way that persistence is guaranteed. In other cases not. But
still, they are a good candidate to be looking at when thinking of a way
to mint URIs.

But more importantly, I think we will have to decide not to view a
requirement like 'there should be a best practice for minting URIs of
spatial phenomena' as something we should busy ourselves with. I can
think of no reason to see the URI minting problem as something that is
inherently spatial, temporal or spatiotemporal. Besides that, there
already are some good guidelines on minting URIs out there.

> 1.8 The OGC URI scheme includes common CRS. Try http://www.opengis.net/def/crs/EPSG/0/4326 for example. I trust that one of the OGC people in the meeting mentioned this?

I am fairly sure that this was mentioned, and if not it is good to see
it mentioned here. Two things came up that indicate that we might want
to go a step further: Firstly, the OGC reference systems do have URIs,
but they are not dereferencable to data describing the reference
systems. Secondly, it would be good to have some best practice for the
description of reference systems in general, not just earth-based
reference systems.

I noticed an interesting parallel for time and space there: In both
cases the regular reference systems are fairly well covered by standards
(earth based reference systems for space, Gregorian calendar for time),
but less common reference systems are not easy to use in a standardized way.

Regards,
Frans

> Simon

Frans Knibbe