Re: Issue-10 unresolved in meeting today

From: Frans Knibbe <frans.knibbe@geodan.nl>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:35:28 +0200
To: Andrea Perego <andrea.perego@jrc.ec.europa.eu>
Cc: Linda van den Brink <l.vandenbrink@geonovum.nl>, "Svensson, Lars" <L.Svensson@dnb.de>, Peter Baumann <p.baumann@jacobs-university.de>, Kerry Taylor <Kerry.Taylor@acm.org>, "public-sdw-wg@w3.org" <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>, Alejandro Llaves <allaves@fi.upm.es>

> > [snip]
> >
> > So the next proposal could be
> >
> > "There should be a best practice for referencing a CRS with a HTTP URI,
> and
> > to get useful information about the CRS when that URI is dereferenced."?
>
> Or simply:
>
> "CRSs should be referenced with HTTP URIs, resolving to useful
> information about the CRS"

When put that way, I think the intention of the requirement is different on
two important points:

   1. We don't ask for a single best way of publishing CRS data
   2. We mandate publication of CRS data instead of trying to make it
   possible or easy to do so

Perhaps we are trying to solve two different problems with this requirement:

A) the problem that there are lots of coordinate data out there that have
no clear CRS, making them hard to use in some scenarios
B) the problem that if someone want to publish or consume data about the CRS
(associated with metadata or individual geometries) it is not clear how
that should be done

If there are multiple schools of thought on what we want to achieve with
this requirement, perhaps we can split the requirement in two separate
requirements?

Regards,
Frans

--