Re: Georeferenced sensor and coverage data

Hi Frans,

not quite, coverages are built around georeferences. The difference is:
- a coverage (at least the ones we are considering here) _has_ a georeference
built in
- a non-georeferenced object can reference some other object that has a
georeference.

So a coverage does not need to reference anything for having geocoordinates,
they are part of the coverage object.

Now let us look into what a "georeference" is. Can be a single point (eg, a
point feature), can be an area (eg, a satellite image).
If some other object links to a point in the sense "I sit where this guy sits"
you can dereference this and get a point location for the linking object.
If this object links to a coverage in this sense then it will sit where the
image sits: in an area.

Whether such a link is meaningful depends on what you want.

-Peter

On 06/01/15 16:33, Frans Knibbe wrote:
> Hello Alejandro, Kerry, Peter,
>
> I think the intention of the two requirements is dawning on me now: There is a
> need for georeferencing coverage data and sensor data because the two models
> that the WG has indentified as the starting point for further work (ISO 19123
> for coverage data, SSN for sensor data) do not support georeferencing at the
> moment.
>
> I think it would help if we extend the requirement description a bit to make
> that clear.
>
> Greetings,
> Frans

>     Frans,
>
>     I think they are different.  Linkability was all about “/different facts
>     in different data sets” /whereas the two “georeferenced...” requirements
>     are particularly asking that those 2 ontologies  include georeference
>     capability (ssn, for example, does not in its current form – instead it
>     asks you get it from some arbitrary other ontology. Users want more help
>     here – they want to be told where to get it from – this could be in ssn
>     itself, but more likely we will just decide to say in ssn  to use whatever
>     we recommend in bp . In this case it is perhaps true that the different
>     requirements would collapse to a single solution – nevertheless they are
>     different requirements ).
>

>     Kerry

   tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178