Re: Spatial context

On 2015-02-19 21:47, Simon.Cox@csiro.au wrote:

> Ø… 'Feature': “..equivalent to GFI_Feature defined in ISO 19156:2011”.
> Unfortunately GFI_Feature as defined in ISO 19156:2011 is not a web
> resource and ISO 19156:2011 is not an open standard (because you have
> to pay for it). But it's a start...
>
> ISO 19156:2011 is jointly published by OGC as Topic 20 of their
> Abstract Spec, and available freely here:
> http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/om or directly from
> www.opengis.net/doc/om <http://www.opengis.net/doc/om>

Thank you Simon, this document can be valuable input if we want to work
on clarifying our basic concepts.

The definition of 'feature'  in paragraph 4.6 caught my eye. A feature
is an 'abstraction of real world phenomena'. Could we say that the OGC
feature equals the W3C information resource? Is a collection of data
about Greater London a feature and Greater London itself not?

Paragraph D.1 seems very useful in shedding light on the basic concepts
that we will work with (features, coverages, observations).

> (Side question: does payment=”not open”? On that basis almost the
> entire academic literature is “closed”, since you can only read it if
> you have a subscription! Ditto most books. I agree that the ISO
> business model is tedious, and does not meet modern expectations for
> web standards, but an argument can easily be made that ISO standards
> are indeed “open” as there is no limitation on access to the document
> other than buying it, and then there is no limitation on use. )

Well, in my book payment for a standard means it is not open. But of
course opinions can differ. This wikipedia article
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standard> has an overview of some
definitions of what constitutes an open standard.  In Spanish and Danish
law for example, an Open Standard really should be free of charge, so
the article says.

To me it is just strange to publish a standard that should help the
world in getting things done and restrict access to it at the same time.
Payment is a barrier that blocks access. For some it is tedious (I think
I could get the money but it would take me some bureaucratic effort) but
I imagine the payment makes the standard unreachable for others
(thinking of a lone web developer in Bangladesh). Besides that, when you
do have access to a single standard document in most cases reading it
will show that you need some other standards as well (ISO 19156:2011 has
twelve references to other ISO standards documents, for example).

But I think it is modern OGC policy to publish OGC versions of the ISO
191** standards for free? That is a good thing. Is it easy to translate
references to ISO 191** documents to equivalent OGC documents?

Greetings,
Frans

---
Dit e-mailbericht bevat geen virussen en malware omdat avast! Antivirus-bescherming actief is.