[2015-02-04] Minutes

The minutes of the call just ended are at

A text snapshot is provided below.

           Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference

04 Feb 2015


       [2] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20150204

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/02/04-sdw-irc


           Payam, +1.937.985.aaaa, +61.3.925.2.aabb,
           +, AZ, Ashok_Malhotra, phila, adila,
           Simon, BartvanLeeuwen, +1.603.897.aadd,
           AndreasHarth,MattPerry, Christine_Perey, Chris Little,
           Kerry, RaulGarciaCastro, +1.805.722.aaff,
           +1.857.919.aagg, KJanowicz, LieberJosh, [IPcaller], Ian
           Holt, Linda, Ramon_Alcarria, +31.20.777.aahh,
           FransKnibbe, AndreaPerego

           Ed, Jeremy, Bill, Chris_Little, Chaals, Ioannis, Lars




      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Preliminaries
          2. [6]F2F meeting in Barcelona
          3. [7]Use Cases
          4. [8]Use Case Doc editor
          5. [9]AOB?
      * [10]Summary of Action Items

    <trackbot> Date: 04 February 2015

    <trackbot> Meeting: Spatial Data on the Web Working Group

    <trackbot> Date: 04 February 2015

    <phila> meeting: SDW WG Weekly

    <kerry> who is on the phone?

    <Linda> i called using voip instead of my regular phone
    connection, i suspect i'm ??P1 but how can I be sure?

    <BartvanLeeuwen> that is netherlands

    <BartvanLeeuwen> amsterdam

    <BartvanLeeuwen> nope

    <BartvanLeeuwen> frans ?


    phila I'll scribe if you will help me?

    <ChrisLittle> brava Christine

    <phila> scribe: cperey

    I will need help

    I've been in W3C before

    kerry: Agenda

    <phila> PROPOSED: Accept last week's minutes

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2015/01/28-sdw-minutes.html

    kerry: motion to approve last week's minutes

    <AZ> +1 to approve

    <kerry> [12]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/28-sdw-minutes.html

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2015/01/28-sdw-minutes.html

    not really

    kerry: any comments? objections?

    <BartvanLeeuwen> +1


    <ChrisLittle> +1

    <Payam> +1

    <MattPerry> +1

    <phila> +1

    <ianh_> +1

    <Ramon_Alcarria> +1

    <RaulGarciaCastro> +1

    <Simon> +1

    <aharth> +1

    <Linda> +1

    <Ashok_Malhotra> +1

    <LieberJosh> _1

    <LieberJosh> +1

    <Alejandro_Llaves> +1

    kerry: minutes approved

    <phila> RESOLVED: Accept last week's minutes

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2015/01/28-sdw-minutes.html

    thank you Phil

    kerry: next item on agenda is address patent call for OGC

    <kerry> [14]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

      [14] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

    kerry: reading the patent call
    ... get a policy if you need it
    ... anyone aware.... please speak up now
    ... any responses?
    ... move on

    <RaulGarciaCastro> +q

    <AZ> +q

    kerry: next item: introductions of new participants

    <ianh_> +q

    RaulGarcia Castro: work at Univ PT at Madrid in representation
    of sensor data and ontologies, previously participated in SSN
    working group

    kerry: thank you very much

    <phila> AZ: I am Antoine Zimmermann

    AZ: I'm assoc prof at ecole des mines st. etienne in Lyon,
    linked data, knowlede represetnation and querying over LD
    ... using information from different contexts in reason,
    including spatial and temporal context
    ... smart cities and transportation data projects

    kerry: thank you Antoine

    <adila> how to get on the speaker queue?

    ianh: Ian Holt
    ... Ordonance Survey, active interest in all standards,
    including LD, been on OGC activitiees

    kerry: Ian has worked with Ed P in past

    adila: from ?? uNiversity, intersted in ontologies in general
    OWL and looking at how spatial and temporal can be represented

    kerry: thank you for joining
    ... no one else is new?
    ... now next item on agenda is face to face meeting

    <adila> cperey, Wright State University

    kerry: head around the meeting info, no agenda set yet
    ... expect to deliver first use cases draft following the
    ... focusing on use cases between now and then
    ... how to fit, group, questoins, etc

    <kerry> [15]http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503t

      [15] http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503t

    kerry: find there how to register, and also info on
    ... if you are unfamiliar with OGC, and you are not an OGC
    member, you will need to pay

F2F meeting in Barcelona

    kerry: something like $200/day
    ... dinner an extra $65 or go for the whole week for $350

    <KJanowicz> Is the link broken?

    <ianh_> I get 404 from link

    kerry: OGC members get free or reduced cost registration

    <kerry> [16]http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503tc

      [16] http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503tc

    chris litte: maybe talk with Denise, she may waive the daily
    fee for presenters

    <Payam> +q

    Andreas: I didn't need to pay when I registered

    kerry: had to pay and I told them I was OGC

    <KJanowicz> s/[17]http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503t /

      [17] http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503t
      [18] http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503tc

    yes, I'm OGC


    kerry: it seems like people need to test and try for themselves
    ... takes an action to talk with Denise about this

    <aharth> Order Grand Total: $0.00, and I'm not a member

    <Payam> I also registered and didn't need to pay- unless I have
    registered for the wrong event!

    <Payam> -q

    kerry: thanks, Andreas, maybe it's going to get clearer

    <LieberJosh> The dinner is usually a good value -- except for
    the speeches

    <scribe> ACTION: Kerry to check payment situation [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-2 - Check payment situation [on Kerry
    Taylor - due 2015-02-11].

    AZ: ask if it is possible you join remotely

    kerry: yes

    chrislittle: it will be a GoTo Meeting

    kerry: probably won't work with Zakim and IRC

    <Simon> Typical OGC arrangement for a joint meeting is that fee
    is waived for the day of the meeting, but if you attend the
    rest of the meeting you have to pay. But should be verified
    with Denise/Ingo

    kerry: probably better for it all to be in IRC
    ... also about meeting: on the wiki I have added under the mtgs
    page, under face to face

    <kerry> [20]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings

      [20] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Meetings


      [21] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Attending_Barcelona_F2F

    kerry: there's a place for details, go there for writing if you
    are coming, or not, or by IRC
    ... let us know what you plan so we can plan the meeting
    ... first page is about meeting, second link is where you write
    down what you are doing
    ... very simple
    ... everyone will need to edit the wiki

    NO CLUE!!!

    that's a Phila question: No

    kerry: moving on to next agenda item, we want to talk about use
    ... we want to have pruning and disucssion to produce first
    draft of first deliverable

Use Cases

    <Zakim> AZ, you wanted to ask if it will be possible to join
    the meeting by teleconference

    <Payam> +q

    AZ: on use cases, I have something: we would like to add an
    intelligent trnasport systems use cases, maybe several use
    ... transportation is quite broad domain; public transport,

    kerry: please do, fabulous driver for what we do

    <KJanowicz> use cases are due next week

    kerry: if you have doubts about relevance, add any way
    ... please write up
    ... is everyone clear about where to put them?
    ... can someone put the Link in?


      [22] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Working_Use_Cases


      [23] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Working_Use_Cases

    <AZ> I've seen the wikipage

    kerry: there's a few already there
    ... do it today and tomorrow!

    <kerry> ack

    Chris Little: I've put some up there, I've asked someone I know
    who works for Cross Rail

    Chris Little: using 3GIS, and OGC standards, lots of things
    dont work

    chris Little: I've asked that they write up a use case on

    <aharth> +1 for 3d

    Chris Little: also asked someone to work up a medical use case

    <phila> ACTION: phil to contact Stony Brook Uni re medical use
    case [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-3 - Contact stony brook uni re
    medical use case [on Phil Archer - due 2015-02-11].

    <Simon> Will we evaluate use-cases to determine if they are
    'specialized' or 'on the web'?

    <FransKnibbe> Glad to see 3D in the use cases

    Chris Little: we are also trying to get use caes developed for
    weather forecast to predict bed use in hospital

    Payam: we have smart city project wth 101 use cases

    <Payam> [25]http://www.ict-citypulse.eu/scenarios/

      [25] http://www.ict-citypulse.eu/scenarios/

    Payam: do we want to add them one by one? Are all these

    kerry: we may need to do soem work to check through them
    ... we may need to rewrite a little maybe combine some, not
    familiar but
    ... we are going to need to select some, expanded a great deal
    by that

    Payam: we also have the data for some of these, I'll have the
    link for that in a minute

    kerry: please put a link to data for your use case

    <Payam> Link to datasets: [26]http://iot.ee.surrey.ac.uk:8080

      [26] http://iot.ee.surrey.ac.uk:8080/

    kerry: we will need the data before acceptable as a

    <KJanowicz> an even more basic question that we have not
    explicitly clarified. Will this group be about semantics?

    kerry: comment earlier from Simon

    <Payam> Link to smart city use-cases:

      [27] http://www.ict-citypulse.eu/scenarios/

    Simon: my concern is that some use cases are highly
    specialized, and we need to keep things under control

    <KJanowicz> +1

    <ChrisLittle> +1

    Simon: we have to be a little circumspect with use cases that
    are only of interest in a technical community

    kerry: we plan to develop some key questions that help us to
    decide if/how to keep use cases
    ... we only agreed that we would assess if they are Niche or
    ... we still don't want to cut out use cases for the moment
    ... if something comes up a lot we might detect a pattern

    <Simon> Overlap x-community use-cases shold have priority

    <Payam> -q

    Raul: here at UPM we have quality, earthquake, and
    transportation data

    kerry: thank you that would be fabulous, Transport is almost
    like a themne

    Christophe: even broader question, not just use cases but what
    particular way to address them

    Krzysztof: do we commit ourselves on if we want to develop
    semantics and modeling, or broader

    <Payam> +q

    kerry: anyone want to discuss this?

    Payam: my response: what do you think Christophe? do you have
    any questions

    Krzysztof: my suggestion is that what we did was to look at
    past use cases and look for where we will apply
    ... but if we are equally cinclusive, do we commit to different
    methods of addressing

    <Payam> good point

    Krzysztof: if you look at the agenda (charter?) of the group we
    dont' say that we are concerned with semantics and data models,
    ... we could say we do geomteri

    Bart: I think we should stick to what's in the charter
    ... When not mentioned in the charter, we don't need that here

    kerry: we certainly have the charter to constrain us, we could
    change it a bit but that would be exceptional
    ... there are technologies mentioned in the charter, those will
    be our focus, no doubt, a few specifically named

    <FransKnibbe> Let's keep options open at the moment, I think it
    is good to have an overview of all problems out there, We could
    focus later based on capabilities of group members.

    kerry: a lot of questions will be a function of who is in the
    ... those in the group will have influence in what comes out
    ... use cases, apply a scope filter on use cases, but we get to
    determine what that is
    ... we should be working through as a team

    <Zakim> phila, you wanted to tallk about charter

    phila: yep, so, uh, the charter is the document that took 9
    months to agree on. It had to be agreed on by both standards
    ... please don't change the charter or we have to start over
    ... you can interpret the deliverables
    ... there's some wiggle room in the charter, in reality we are
    two wG's and the same charter and same chairs and meet at same
    ... but should one side decide to go off on their own
    ... we only have 2 years to delivery 4 pretty chunky documents
    ... we hope that this will point to new and future standards
    ... please don't touch the charter

    <KJanowicz> hmm, but this was not about changing the charter

    kerry: hope we do not go off in different directions, but it is
    interesting to know that we can follow up work separately

    <LieberJosh> There are distinct targets in the charter. Two of
    them specify ontology explicitly, so there is certainly a
    semantic element here

    <phila> phila: From the charter "Subject to its capacity, the
    working groups may choose to develop additional relevant
    vocabularies and specifications in response to community
    demand. For example: a standard method for converting between
    spatial ontologies; methods to access a subset of a large
    dataset in terms of its spatial component. Such additional work
    may be carried out by one or other WG independently of the

    kerry: do hope that during the duration we can work on the same
    page/same deliverables

    ChrisLittle: in past telco's we talked about use case scope to
    see what people are interested in
    ... we will have content to put in the longer term road map.
    Only concern I have is that the use cases are easy to
    assimilate for non-experts

    kerry: we may feature some as representative to make it easier

    <KJanowicz> q_

    <FransKnibbe> Keeping good relationships with related working
    groups and communities could help in getting things done. We do
    not have to work in isolation.

    sorry, maybe issue is that I didn't write in name correctly

    kerry: go ahead Josh

    Josh: when we discussed use cases, we also discussed whether to
    work on questiosn, the point about the charter
    ... we should have both of those focused on the charter, but
    use cases that fit in the net plausibly addressed by
    standardization target of the group
    ... great to note that but as Phil said, there's enough to do

    <kerry> aq?

    kerry: people can decide if it is relevant for them
    ... anyone who has a use case that we have not heard from yet?
    ... quick mention?

    <Simon> I have solicited uc's from Land and Water team at CSIRO

    Matt: I've looked at integrating different data sets into a
    triple store to query, I can write something up along those

    kerry: ...

    <scribe> ACTION: Matt to write up use case [recorded in

    <trackbot> Error finding 'Matt'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[29]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    I'm not good at that, sorry

    <FransKnibbe> I noticed it helps to follow the use case
    template and indicate related topics in the title. That helps
    in keeping the use case related to the charter.

    can people action themselves

    <Linda> I'll write one also

    Phila are you catching this?

    <phila> ACTION: Perry to write up use case [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-4 - Write up use case [on Matthew
    Perry - due 2015-02-11].

    <BartvanLeeuwen> ACTION: BartvanLeeuwen to Write a use case
    about emergency response [recorded in

    <trackbot> Error finding 'BartvanLeeuwen'. You can review and
    register nicknames at

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    Linda: it would be around Dutch registries. Government
    registeries, a lot of reusable data, currently in separate
    ... looking at how to creating links and make them more useful,
    a lot of geospatial data

    Linda; to make correspondences between data

    <BartvanLeeuwen> ACTION: Bartvanleeuwen to Write a use case
    about emergency response [recorded in

    <trackbot> Error finding 'Bartvanleeuwen'. You can review and
    register nicknames at

      [34] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    kerry: who else? Andrea?

    Andrea: ...

    <phila> ACTION: Bart to Write a use case about emergency
    response [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-5 - Write a use case about emergency
    response [on Bart van Leeuwen - due 2015-02-11].

    <Simon> ACTION: Simon to coordinate use cases from CSIRO Land
    and Water [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-6 - Coordinate use cases from csiro
    land and water [on Simon Cox - due 2015-02-11].

    kerry: can't hear Andrea

    <AZ> You can put an action on me for a use case

    <ChrisLittle> ACTION: ChrisLittle will chase up Medical and 3D
    tunnelling use cases [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-7 - Will chase up medical and 3d
    tunnelling use cases [on Chris Little - due 2015-02-11].

    kerry: Aelandro told me he had use case. We are looking pretty
    ... lost track of who I can pick on and who haven't

    <Linda> ACTION: write use case about dutch base registries
    [recorded in

    <trackbot> Error finding 'write'. You can review and register
    nicknames at <[39]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users>.

      [39] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/users

    kerry: I hope that by next meeting we will look through them

    <phila> phila: You can always see the open actions in the
    tracker [40]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/open

      [40] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/open

    kerry: those doing use cases, please annotate which deliverable
    you think it is useful/good/applied for

    <Simon> I added some annotations to other peoples ucs - hope
    that is OK

    <Alejandro_Llaves> yes, from OEG (UPM) we have use cases on air
    quality data, public transport, etc. to be uploaded soon

    <Linda> ACTION: Linda to write use case about dutch base
    registries [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-8 - Write use case about dutch base
    registries [on Linda van den Brink - due 2015-02-11].

    kerry: brackets you can use to identify which deliverable

    <ChrisLittle> +1

    <Alejandro_Llaves> (sorry, audio problems)

    kerry: that will help us to understand what we have and where
    to go

    <Payam> I will also add the cityPulse usecases

    <Linda> :-)

    kerry: anyone else with comments?

    <AZ> ACTION: AZ to add a use case on transportation [recorded
    in [42]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/04-sdw-minutes.html#action12]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-9 - Add a use case on transportation
    [on Antoine Zimmermann - due 2015-02-11].

    kerry: we will need these quite quickly in order to meet our
    goal so GET BUSY!
    ... last item on agenda is editor for Use case deliverable

Use Case Doc editor

    kerry: need one or pref two to be the editor
    ... needs to be developed in specific way and Phila has
    promised that he will help the editors through the process
    ... not going to ask who right now but e-mail to the chairs if
    you are interested
    ... will will need one or two and you should nominate yourself

    <phila> [43]http://www.w3.org/respec/guide.html

      [43] http://www.w3.org/respec/guide.html

    Phila: to reassure people, we have a tool Respec, handles all
    the boilerplate stuff
    ... it's not as scary as you might think
    ... important thing is that it's not all about HTML editing
    ... the plus side is that you have your name on top of document
    ... puts you in the public eye, put yourself forward
    ... don't know requirements on the OGC side
    ... every document must meet the requirements of both groups
    ... about 1/2 day a week on average but you will get help

    kerry: Thank you, Phila
    ... please contact the chairs;

    <Simon> OGC requirements upfront are not so formal, but the
    form of a spec is quite strict :-)

    kerry: if you want to choose your favorite document, you can
    sign up later, or sign up for all
    ... we are first looking for use case editor
    ... any questions about editor role?
    ... no questions, and there not being anything else on the


    kerry: no further business, close the meeting
    ... thank you for your attendance

    <phila> phila: Thank you Christine for scribing

    kerry: everyone go add your use cases on the wiki

    <Simon> Have a good morning everyone!

    <KJanowicz> bye-bye

    kerry: make sure you include your name

    <LieberJosh> ta

    kerry: thank you everyone!

    <AndreaPerego> Bye bye - and good night ;)

    <LieberJosh> bye

    <BartvanLeeuwen> bye

    <MattPerry> bye

    <ChrisLittle> bye

    <ianh_> bye


    <Payam> bye

    <Linda> good job christine

    <phila> ChrisLittle, please don't type zakim, bye - it
    dismisses the bot!

    <Ramon_Alcarria> bye bye

    <Alejandro_Llaves> thanks, bye!

    <kerry> *phila -- nothing for me to do with the minutes?

    <kerry> thanks! bye!

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: AZ to add a use case on transportation [recorded
    in [44]http://www.w3.org/2015/02/04-sdw-minutes.html#action12]
    [NEW] ACTION: Bart to Write a use case about emergency response
    [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: BartvanLeeuwen to Write a use case about
    emergency response [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: Bartvanleeuwen to Write a use case about
    emergency response [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: ChrisLittle will chase up Medical and 3D
    tunnelling use cases [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: Kerry to check payment situation [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: Linda to write use case about dutch base
    registries [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: Matt to write up use case [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: Perry to write up use case [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: phil to contact Stony Brook Uni re medical use
    case [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: Simon to coordinate use cases from CSIRO Land and
    Water [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: write use case about dutch base registries
    [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Received on Wednesday, 4 February 2015 21:06:37 UTC