RE: Ssn tasks

Thanks for the prompt Jeremy.

·         Slightly updated version of the om-lite paper [1] - now accepted for publication. There is some discussion of PROV alignment in the paper, complementing the nice work by Compton et al. from the 2014 Semantic Sensor Network Workshop [2]

·         I presented an updated version of the Observation/PROV alignment talk just yesterday here at AGU [3]. Note that this uses the extensions to SSN proposed in the PROV alignment paper. The conclusion of the paper is that the terms ‘observation’ and ‘process’ are used differently in different information models or ontologies, but that usage can be clarified by reference to the core classes from the process-flow formalization provided by PROV. The presentation appeared to be well received, and conclusion endorsed in discussions involving Stephan Zednick (RPI) (who was heavily involved in the W3C PROV project), Peter Fox (RPI), Boyan Brodaric (NRCan), Josh Liebermann (Harvard), Matt Jones (UCSB), Adam Leadbetter (Irish Marine), Hook Hua (JPL), most of whom are practitioners at some level. Adam also gave a presentation that showed om-lite [4] already in use in services from BODC.

·         The om-lite paper [1] also considers the alignment of O&M Sampling Features with PROV. In sam-lite [5], Specimen is sub-classed directly from prov:Entity, which provides an elegant solution to the requirement for a flexible model to describe diverse sample-preparation chains.  In a second paper presented at AGU as a poster [6] and also at ModSim a couple of weeks ago [7] we stepped back and used PROV directly to describe specimen preparation, though these are highly simplified and in practice the additional properties defined in sam-lite probably make sense.
So, I would add to Kerry’s task list:

1.      Add the additional SSNX classes identified in the Compton et al. paper [2]

2.      Consider adding elements from the Sampling Features module from [1] (i.e. sam-lite [5])

[1] http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/ontology-observations-and-sampling-features-alignments-existing-models-0

[2] http://knoesis.org/ssn2014/paper_9.pdf

[3] http://www.slideshare.net/drshorthair/pitfalls-in-alignment-of-observation-models-resolved-using-prov-as-an-upper-ontology

[4] http://def.seegrid.csiro.au/ontology/om/om-lite