W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-sdw-wg@w3.org > December 2015

[minutes] 2015-11-25

From: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 19:57:47 +0000
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <565F4D3B.3020508@w3.org>
The minutes of the meeting on 25 Nov are, of course at 
http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes

And copied below as text


           Spatial Data on the Web Working Group Teleconference

25 Nov 2015

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-irc

Attendees

    Present
           jtandy, Payam, billroberts, Linda, kerry, DanhLePhuoc,
           ChrisLittle, ClemensPortele, ahaller2, KJanowicz

    Regrets
           Jon Blower, Andrea Perego, Lars Svensson, phila, Ed
           Parsons, Andreas Harth, Rachel Heaven, Bart van Leeuwen,
           Alejandro Llaves

    Chair
           Kerry

    Scribe
           KJanowicz

Contents

      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]BP Editors call
          2. [5]review BP actions
          3. [6]SSN kickoff
      * [7]Summary of Action Items
      * [8]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    <Payam> [9]http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/WebEx

       [9] http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/WebEx

    I can give it a try

    <billroberts> fetches glass of wine - been one of those days

    yes

    <kerry_> scribe: KJanowicz

    <jtandy> scribenick: KJanowicz

    <kerry_> scribeNick: KJ

    <kerry_> [10]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/18-sdw-minutes.html

      [10] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/18-sdw-minutes.html

    <kerry_> +1

    <jtandy> +1 ... (wasn't at the meeting - but they made sense to
    me)

    <Payam> +1

    <ahaller2> +1

    <Linda> +1

    <KJanowicz> +1

    <ClemensPortele> +0 (wasn't there)

    <ChrisLittle> +1 minutes

    RESOLUTION: Minutes have been approved

    <billroberts> +1

    <kerry_> [11]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Patent_Call

    <KJanowicz> kerry_ : next item on agenda: patent call

    <DanhLePhuoc> +1

    <KJanowicz> next item on the agenda: BP Editors' F2F

BP Editors call

    <ChrisLittle> * if lunch Iranian very awesome

    <KJanowicz> BP will be written in a tutorial style

    <kerry_> +1 to on line help style

    <KJanowicz> BP document will crossreference other best practice
    documents

    <KJanowicz> This will create a common document that links to
    other relevant materials thus making them accessible at a
    common place.

    <KJanowicz> Examples will be included in a second stage

    <KJanowicz> kerry_ : Plan was to release first draft on Dec.
    10th

    <jtandy> (or 9-Dec for those of us in EU and USA)

    <KJanowicz> next meeting is the last one to go over open issues

    <KJanowicz> same for the use case document

    <KJanowicz> ChrisLittle: How do we define a quorum in our case?

    <KJanowicz> kerry_: key issue is not to exclude anybody

    <KJanowicz> We need to check this with the OGC and their
    procedures

    <jtandy> ACTION: ChrisLittle to determine the rules for OGC
    quorum [recorded in
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-104 - Determine the rules for ogc
    quorum [on Chris Little - due 2015-12-02].

review BP actions

    <jtandy> [13]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/94

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/94

    <jtandy> [14]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/96

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/96

    <KJanowicz> Linking out to some common sources such as DBpedia,
    GeoNames, etc. This leads to interesting challenges, e.g.,
    entity resolution.

    <KJanowicz> Semantics of links is important but not always
    clear.

    <KJanowicz> Combination of owl:sameAs, seeAlso, and various
    SKOS links.

    <jtandy> [15]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/97

      [15] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/97

    <KJanowicz> First notes will be published by Nov 26th

    <jtandy> [16]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/98

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/98

    <KJanowicz> ClemensPortele: Working on list of common formats,
    looked at BP task, this will need additional text but so far we
    will consider about 10 formats and make sure to come up with a
    list of characteristics that are relevant for our group. Table
    of characteristics was distributed today.

    <KJanowicz> ClemensPortele: We already see discussions on the
    mailinglist but we still need to agree on the direction this is
    going.

    <KJanowicz> The preferred format will depend heavily on your
    home community (e.g., GML for OGC). Thus we need to link the
    format overview to the BP and use cases. This will allow us to
    recommend formats for specific needs and communities.

    <KJanowicz> A more meta question, how should we edit this? On
    the wiki, using github?

    <KJanowicz> KJanowicz would recommend to use the W3 wiki.

    <jtandy> ACTION: jtandy to provide ClemensPortele a list of
    further attributes required to describe each data format
    (relates to ACTION 98) [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action02]

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-105 - Provide clemensportele a list
    of further attributes required to describe each data format
    (relates to action 98) [on Jeremy Tandy - due 2015-12-02].

    <ChrisLittle> +1 to wiki

    <KJanowicz> +1 for wiki

    <ChrisLittle> Copy and paste, not cut!

    <jtandy> [18]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/99

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/99

    <jtandy> [19]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/100

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/100

    <KJanowicz> ClemensPortele: What is the relationship between
    actions 100 and 98?

    <KJanowicz> answer: data encoding formats versus rdf
    vocabularies

    <KJanowicz> KJanowicz: I think we are already talking about
    action 101/103

    <jtandy> ACTION: jtandy to deconflict actions 98 (clemens and
    100 (ed) - they both seem to be about formats [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action03]

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-106 - Deconflict actions 98 (clemens
    and 100 (ed) - they both seem to be about formats [on Jeremy
    Tandy - due 2015-12-02].

    <KJanowicz> jtandy, we have the same on 101 and 103

    <billroberts> perhaps, as KJ has just pointed out, this is a
    result of where we allocated an action to 2 people - the
    tracker may have issued two identical actions, because only one
    action per person?

    <KJanowicz> @billroberts: yes, this is exactly the issue

    <Linda> yes, at least it seems something went wrong with
    allocating actions.

    <ClemensPortele> @billroberts: I am not sure, 98 was created
    two weeks ago and 100 was created last week

    <jtandy> [21]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/101
    and [22]http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/103

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/101
      [22] http://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/track/actions/103

    <KJanowicz> rdf vocabularies (not formats)

    <KJanowicz> billroberts: task for 101/103 will be more than
    just a list of vocabularies. The real value comes from
    recommendations.

    <KJanowicz> jtandy: we need the recommendations to be durable
    but vocabularies come and go.

    <KJanowicz> jtandy: thus we need a method to inform users about
    which criteria to use to select a particular vocabulary.

    <KJanowicz> +1

    <KJanowicz> jtandy: we also need robust mappings

    <KJanowicz> billroberts: I agree with this approach

    <KJanowicz> billroberts: value in a crosswalk between different
    vocabularies

    <KJanowicz> kerry_: let us move on to SSN

    <KJanowicz> I am okay with what bill said.

    <billroberts> Kerry was right. Jeremy talked a lot

SSN kickoff

    <KJanowicz> kerry_: SSN editors will be ahaller2, kerry_,
    DanhLePhuoc, KJanowicz

    <KJanowicz> I can speak about the usage

    <ChrisLittle> +1 to Bill

    <kerry_> kJ: Usage of SSN

    <kerry_> ....looked at papers using ssn

    <kerry_> ............describing sensors, observations and
    deployments

    <kerry_> ...not much linked data

    <kerry_> .... 2-3 years IoT is big uptake

    <kerry_> ...reference to <missed it>

    <kerry_> ... one third develop new ontologies based on SSN

    <kerry_> ... sso part is widely used for extension

    <kerry_> ...data integration and data infrastrucutre e.g.
    earthcube

    <kerry_> ... accessibility, preservation, interoperability

    <kerry_> .... provenance

    <kerry_> ... academic use for the sake of ssn .e.g. aligning or
    ontology design

    <kerry_> ...documenting on wiki

    <ahaller2> +1 great summary KJanowicz

    <KJanowicz> [23]https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/SSN_usage

      [23] https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/SSN_usage

    <KJanowicz> will complete this later

    <ChrisLittle> S/infrastrucutre/infrastructure/

    <KJanowicz> I only looked at 10 papers per year so this is
    rather anecdotal at this stage.

    <KJanowicz> kerry_: DUL needs to be discussed, O&M relation,
    more on location

    <KJanowicz> kerry: more on encoding values

    <KJanowicz> kerry_: modularization

    <jtandy> devices and sensors :
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/DeviceSensorsCharter.html

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/DeviceSensorsCharter.html

    <KJanowicz> KJanowicz: important to keep in mind: SSN is the
    result of a W3C XG so the focus was heavily on experimental
    work and new methods . This time (for the SDW) we will focus on
    standardization so we will need to be more conservative.

    <KJanowicz> kerry_: more discussion needed on the ontological
    issues as such and how it relates to the BP documents.

    <KJanowicz> kerry_: we will report back to the geosemantics
    group at OGC (for their meeting in Sydney)

    <ChrisLittle> Bye and thank you

    <ahaller2> thanks, bye

    <billroberts> ok thanks all - bye

    <ClemensPortele> bye, thanks

    <kerry_> rrsagent draft minutes

    <kerry_> bye!

    <kerry_> trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: ChrisLittle to determine the rules for OGC quorum
    [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: jtandy to deconflict actions 98 (clemens and 100
    (ed) - they both seem to be about formats [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: jtandy to provide ClemensPortele a list of
    further attributes required to describe each data format
    (relates to ACTION 98) [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action02]

      [25] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action01
      [26] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action03
      [27] http://www.w3.org/2015/11/25-sdw-minutes.html#action02

Summary of Resolutions

     1. [28]Minutes have been approved

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________
Received on Wednesday, 2 December 2015 19:57:56 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 2 September 2016 12:03:10 UTC