Re: ISSUE 14: temporal reasoning and relations

Frans, Kerry -

OWL-time restricts the range of the hasBeginning and hasEnd properties to Instant. If that range were extended to include Interval, a great many of the temporal expressions we call “fuzzy” (a misnomer, uncertain is better) could be encoded that can’t be now, including:

  *   “[circa | early | mid | late]  [month | year | century]”

The 4-part pattern (earliestStart, latestStart, earliestEnd, latestEnd) is as old as the hills elsewhere and intuitive - one sees it in timelines, from 18th century hand drawn ones of Priestley [1] to MIT’s Simile Timeline.

As noted, other kinds of uncertainty are handled by Allen’s relations: before, during, after, etc. I would say they don’t articulate actual relations well enough, but they do a basic job [2].

OWL-Time was published in 2006 and seems fixed. I agree it should be extended. I guess I’m not clear on how the expression of the requirement in this group’s work will impact that standard. In the meantime, ad hoc data formats (like the Topotime extension to GeoJSON, or PeriodO) are tackling  the requirement, coupled with software to interpret data expressed in the new model(s).

A more fundamental issue is that representation requirements for places and temporal entities are symmetrical: places have essential temporal attributes and occurrences have essential spatial attributes. Events are geospatial phenomena; historical periods are aggregations of geospatial phenomena. But I digress…

Cheers
Karl

[1] http://math.yorku.ca/SCS/Gallery/images/priestley.gif
[2] For example, “before” could be intervalBefore, intervalStarts, or intervalOverlaps. A really nice treatment of this is in Freksa, C. (1992). Temporal reasoning based on semi-intervals. Artificial Intelligence, 54: 199-227