Re: [geometry] DOMRectList with legacy

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 20:16:37 +0000
To: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
CC: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Domenic Denicola <domenic@domenicdenicola.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, FX <public-fx@w3.org>, "ms2ger@gmail.com" <ms2ger@gmail.com>

On Jul 18, 2014, at 10:08 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2014, at 8:20 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

>>> For green-field things, I would prefer just using an Array for now, then doing subclassing once it's implemented.
>>>
>>> For legacy stuff, subclassing Array is not an option thus far, because none of the JS engines support subclassing yet.  This has nothing to do with WebIDL limitations; it's a V8/SpiderMonkey/Chakra/JSC limitation.

>>> You mean [ArrayClass]?  Yes, it does.

>>> Consider [NoInterfaceObject], you mean?  I could probably live with that, yes.
>>
>> Thanks Boris! Anne, Domenic, Ms2ger, Rik does that sound like a compromise:
>>
>> [NoInterfaceObject,
>> ArrayClass]
>> interface DOMRectList {
>>    readonly attribute unsigned long length;
>>    getter DOMRect? item(unsigned long index);
>> };
>>
>> Weren't we going to rename it to LegacyDOMRectList so people don't try to reuse it in the future?
>> I would still like to know if other browser are onboard with implementing [ArrayClass] and extending this object with that feature.

I made the changes to the specification. You can find it here: http://dev.w3.org/fxtf/geometry/#DOMRectList

Anne, Domenic, Ms2ger, please reply if you agree that your concerns have been addressed.

Greetings,
Dirk