Re: E4H and constructing DOMs

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>E4H's design goals were:
>
> - to provide compile-time syntax checking for in-script DOM tree creation
> - to provide in-script DOM tree creation in a terse and intuitive fashion
> - to provide syntactic sugar for the most common use cases for in-script
>   DOM tree creation, specifically:
>    * inserting strings into attribute values
>    * inserting strings into element contents
>    * setting HTML boolean attributes conditionally based on an expression

It seems to me that a critical feature here is to be able to have actual
Nodes as template parameters, so can do something akin to

  var parsedHTML = parseHTML("...", { ... }); // a DocumentFragment
  ... <div>${ parsedHTML }</div> ...

and my understanding is that both E4H and ES6 templates, as proposed, do
allow for that; (a simple example of where you would want this is when
you dynamically retrieve a HTML fragment with some formatting elements
from the server and want to enclose it in some other element structure).

A related feature is being able to retrieve a template "string" from the
server and dynamically fill it in in the browser. E4H does not seem to
support that without using eval() while ES6 templates might support it,
but I have yet to check that.