Re: Standardizing console APIs: Where?

Hi Brian,

On Monday, 25 February 2013 at 12:29, Brian Kardell wrote:

> I must admit i am a bit surprised that anyone would appear to be opposed to formalizing something through one of the two groups... It seems to me the goal of all of these other groups here is to pick up something that is lacking and people wish that we had a standard for.

No one is opposed, please don't confuse questions and comments as opposition - people are just trying to understand the utility. Any standardisation effort is a significant undertaking, potentially lasting years, so what people work on needs careful consideration.

So, beyond slapping a W3C or ECMA sticker on this, what do _you_ want the standard for? Say some group spec'd it, then what? The various developer documents that have been listed are already pretty good at saying what things do and there is already a very high degree of interoperability across implementation (in my experience). If this is not the case, then some data should be presented.
> Regardless of history or agreement by vendors, no dev i know of looks to any of those as sources of standards and they give no indication themselves otherwise.

Sure, but the console API works more or less universally. Where is the developer pain?
> I sent Rick the following link Friday evening and was hoping for a little tweaking before it was shared with a much wider audience. It contains explanation/goals/non-goals
> https://github.com/bkardell/logging
> Essentially though, some logging concept (usually console based) is supported by all engines, but the actual almost universally shared API has actually been pretty small. There is really no good reason i can see for that, logging really has nothing to do with dom or even console inherently

> - so why not get an actual standardized API effort to make the code at least universally portable with a source people can look up and recognize as standard?

Is there currently an issue with portability? Can you point to some data where people are complaining? I know console was not exposed by default in some browsers unless the developer tools were being used, but is that still the case? Are there other issues?
> That said, i'm not interested in charging at windmills here, so if no one is interested, that's fine too.

Again, it's not about if people are interested or not: there question is if there is value or not in spending time on this. The simple questions are: what would be solved by standardising this? Who would benefit and how much (relative to what is already out there)?