Re: Future cancellation

Alex,

Thank you for the feedback.  I’ve also added two more gists:

4. Cancellation using CancellationTokenSource: https://gist.github.com/rbuckton/5490373
5. Cancellation using CancelableFuture subclass: https://gist.github.com/rbuckton/5490482

Each one of these is an attempt to find out exactly what does and doesn’t work with various mechanisms for cancellation that have been discussed on these lists as well as in various libraries.

In [1] I added the synchronous flag as a way to ensure that the Future that is used for cancellation can resolve and have its resolve callbacks run in time. It’s not exactly necessary but there are some cases where not being able to cancel synchronously could bite a developer:

function someAsync(cancelFuture) {
  return new Future(function (resolver) {
    var handle = setImmediate(function () { … });
    cancelFuture.done(function () { clearImmediate(handle); });
  });
}

var { token, cancel } = createCanceler();
var f = someAsync(token);
cancel();

Due to asynchronous resolution, even though cancel() is called synchronously it will be scheduled *after* the setImmediate call.

[2] was based on a side discussion around cancellation and similarities to revocable Proxies.

[3] was based on providing a simple means of cancellation, but I agree that there is a danger that a Future that is referenced by multiple consumers could be canceled by any consumer.

[4] is inspired by cooperative cancellation of Tasks in .NET. I’ve used this quite often and found it to be a powerful cancellation mechanism. It has the advantage of being very explicit about where responsibilities lie as part of cancellation and reducing pollution of the Future API, but it does add additional complexity around setup. I’m personally in favor of this approach, though not so fond of the name of types.  [1] is partially based on this approach as well, except that CTS cancels synchronously and can automatically reject a Future.

[5] is a possible approach (albeit a naïve implementation) of cancellation via a subclass. In its current incarnation it suffers from the same issues a [1] and [2], but can be mitigated by having it directly call the resolver’s resolve algorithm with the synchronous flag set. It also gets lost when using Future.any, etc.

My intent currently is not to advocate any of these approaches. Rather; I’m trying to catalogue each approach as I’ve come across them specifically to gather this kind of feedback.

Best regards,
Ron

Sent from Windows Mail