Re: Outreach? (was Coordination/ES6 Modules)

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>wrote:

> cc es-discuss.
>

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke@chromium.org>wrote:
>
>> One takeaway I have from both my own recent efforts to understand the
>> state of ES6 and the recent threads on es-discuss and public-script-coord
>> is that I think someone should be doing a better job of outreach for TC39.
>>
>> Most of the official public documentation for TC39 (the Wiki, the meeting
>> notes) is written for the members of the committee much more so than for
>> the interested public.
>>
>> This is, in a sense, entirely appropriate, and consistent with how all
>> the other language standards groups I've been aware of work. But it is hard
>> to interpret for outsiders.
>>
>> To take Anne's question that started these threads, it's almost
>> completely unclear to me as a web-dev how exactly we'd expect ES6 modules
>> will work. There is almost no discussion on the wiki of what changes in
>> HTML and JavaScript pages, for example. Even the
>> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:modules_examples page is
>> extremely terse, and gives no discussion of what the exeucution order for
>> the modules and scripts are ... what blocks, what doesn't? (I don't
>> actually want the answers to these questions in this thread).
>>
>> Perhaps we need more JS-developer (or web-friendly) documentation? Maybe
>> some of the member companies should more actively write about upcoming
>> things in ES6 the way they do for new features being added to HTML5?
>>

> I'm one of jQuery's representatives on Ecma/TC39 and I'll be
> honest—catering to my peers in the community is exhausting. This is not me
> dismissing you, but you should just subscribe to JavaScript Weekly (
> http://javascriptweekly.com/). Dr. Axel Rauschmayer (who is very active
> on es-discuss) curates the content and it _always_ has some ES6 related
> updates (news, changes, coverage) in "accessible" forms. In fact, his blog
> is quite good for consuming the "new parts" in digestible portions.

Thanks for the pointer; I wasn't actually aware of that site. I tried to be
careful not to suggest that the TC39 members themselves should be doing
more outreach, not that you're not all capable of it, but it is a lot of
work.

I've cc'ed es-discuss, because you didn't, and I assume this message was
> actually for es-discuss and/or TC39 members to see.

I figure most of the TC39 members are also on public-script-coord, but
that's fine. Thanks!

-- Dirk