Re: IDL: special DOMString that converts to Unicode

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 13:29:34 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>
> wrote:
>> No, you want to add a type. Expect discussion (call the whaambulance
>> over
>> "stop energy"). WebIDL is a shared good and people have to care about
>> *not*
>> adding to it, or it'll grow like crazy. (This happens with JS too, and
>> HTML
>> -- but you know all about that!)
>
> :-) Okay, I'm happy with an attribute. I did just notice this also
> affects every string we want to display in the UI,

Why? I think the current behavior is that lone surrogates can end up in
places that get exposed to the user already, e.g. by setting textContent,
and the browser/OS needs to deal with it for display anyway, so it's
pointless to try to avoid it in some places.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software