Re: Specification links in code generated from WebIDL

Hi Stefan,

On Feb 22, 2012, at 21:39 , Stefan Haustein wrote:
> The HTML 5 Canvas spec (1) provides link targets of the form
>
> CONSTANT_PREFIX + interfaceName.toLowerCase() + "-" + operationName.toLowercase();
>
> This makes it quite easy to link to the relevant parts of the specification, for instance in IDEs and / or generated JavaDoc comments. Unfortunately, other specifications such as WebGL or TypedArrays do not follow this schema.
>
> Do you think it would make sense to support this link schema as a general recommendation in WebIDL?

I'm not sure that WebIDL would be the best place to make this recommendation, but even if we had a good place the above does seem to be too simple. Notably, you can have multiple partial interfaces with the same name, overloaded operations, etc.

Coming up soon: I'm teaching a W3C online course on Mobile Web Apps
http://www.w3devcampus.com/writing-great-web-applications-for-mobile/