Re: querySelectorAll() -- selecting _immediate_ children of element

On 2012-01-09 18:22, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com wrote:
> However there is no need for new findAll() method. We can do the
> same  with existing qS/qSA.
>
> Nor we need second parameter in querySelectorAll. This addition
> looks  like something purely theoretical (by the way, I've not found it in the
> draft you've linked to). We need just subject element (which's qS/qSA
> method is called) to be expressable inside selector.

It's not theoretical.  It closely resembles the feature in JQuery, which
supports $(selector, context), where context may be or or more elements
in a collection or JQuery object.

> Even if second parameter for qS/qSA will be in the spec, it should
> be  equal to subject element by default so that we couldn't be forced to
> explicitly pass subject element every time:

Yes, that's what the spec says.

>      // Absurd non-DRY way: refElement is passed as argument to method of itself.
>      refElement.querySelectorAll(':scope>  div', refElement);

Although support for the second parameter has since been removed from
querySelector() and querySelectorAll(), it never required you to pass
refElement as the second parameter if it was the same as the context
object.  The algorithm to determine contextual reference nodes in the
spec handles this by defaulting to the context element if no other
elements were provided.

Now, however, the refNodes parameter is only supported for find() and
findAll() on Document and DocumentFragment objects.  It is no longer
supported on elements in favour of :scope always matching the context
object.

>      // Correct way: ':scope' is refElement by default.
>      refElement.querySelectorAll(':scope>  div');

That is exactly how it was, before refElement/refNodes were removed from
qSA, and it is how it works with find()/findAll().

   refElement.findAll(":scope>div")

But that case is also equivalent to:

   refElement.findAll(">div");

> Furthermore, ':scope' looks like inoptimal name for pseudoclass since
> it may lead to confusion/conflicts between HTML5 scopes defined with
> 'scope' attribute and scopes inside qS/qSA.

That particular pseudo-class was named and defined with both <style
scoped> and qSA in mind. It matches entirely based on the context in
which it is used.  Various other names have been tried in the past,
including :context, :ref, :this, etc. but none were found to be as
accepted as :scope was.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/